Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of lion buckles out there (American, British, French) and they date over a wide range, but I would say British 1812 is a good guess, and it does look early.... and of course given the site you dug it makes it make sense. My book calls a similar one "An English brass sword belt clasp" so I would assume that's what you have too. I've always liked those things, and don't see many posted on the forums.

freddo

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of lion buckles out there (American, British, French) and they date over a wide range, but I would say British 1812 is a good guess, and it does look early.... and of course given the site you dug it makes it make sense. My book calls a similar one "An English brass sword belt clasp" so I would assume that's what you have too. I've always liked those things, and don't see many posted on the forums.

I am interested in this topic re lion belt buckles, I would be interested in your opinion about a lion buckle on a portrait miniature I have of a Napoleonic war period English soldier ,that may be from the Lakenheath and Wangford Volunteers Infantry around 1805, letters LWV on shako and buttons.

I have not been able to find much info on these buckles ,were these for privates or officers only?

regards Freddo 2020-02-12 13.31.50.jpg 2020-02-12 13.31.15.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions