Not open for further replies.

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay fellas, believe it or not, I recently dug up an 1870 "CC" Seated Liberty Half Dollar. When i found it, i only knew it was a Seated Liberty Half as i didn't want to clean it in the field. Anyway, after doing the "happy dance" for a awhile I headed home to rinse it off and do some research. I knew the seated liberty halves could fetch a few hundred dollars in good shape, so i really was happy as a pig in poop with that. Then while doing some reading i came across the statement "of particular interest to collectors is the rare 1870 Carson City Seated Half.....". Now my hearts beating a tad faster, because after cleaning the mud off it IS an 1870...but what the hell is the Carson City mean?? So after some more googling I find that Carson City was a mint and coins minted there will have a small "CC" on the reverse. Holy !!!!...no friggin way...there it is, right under the eagle's talons..."CC". So now, with my heart really beating and a !!!! eatin' grin on my face, i'm back on Google searching for the value of this coin. OH MY GOD! Never in a million years did i think i could find a single coin worth what this one is. I mean previous to this, i was hoping to find a gold ring worth a couple hundred bucks. I know most of you are going to believe this coin is a fake, or I'm a liar..but rest assured i am not a liar and I've already had an authorized PCGS agent look at it and confirm that he thought it was genuine. Enough so that he offered me 5 grand! Besides, the coin has been sent off to Heritage Auctions so I'll have the proof and the check soon.

Attachments

• _MG_9579.jpg
    _MG_9579.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 871
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,014
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 736
Upvote 21

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what the f#%&& is this banner? some want to explain it from top to bottom for us new folks?
instead of just telling new members" you cant be on the banner cause you are new" some of us have not a clue what you are talking about

First the banner are finds that are considered to be very rare and unique among other things, made by TreasureNet members.....

Now with that said, it is clear you have not read the whole thread as it has been posted several times by both Jeff Of Pa and myself that the reason it isn't qualified to be on the banner is because it was found before Joe joined TN. You cant make the banner with a find you made before you joined TreasureNet... Since the thread is four pages long, I can see why you may not have read it......

"As stated by River Rat another mod here on another thread........

While we don't have any firm criteria, we follow these general guidelines...
•Finds must be significant, and plausible.
•Finds / posts must be RECENT.
•Images must be hosted on the TreasureNet server.
•Posts with great stories are more likely to be selected.
•If the post is one of the members first posts, it is less likely to be selected.
•It helps if 20 members don't have you on ignore!
•Finds must look good in the banner.
Everything you see on the banner was nominated for banner. New Adm had added a few up there, but they were based on the amount of nominated reports we received. This is nominated reports, not typing in a reply stating "banner". There can be 15 replies stating "banner find", but if we receive no report, well it won't make it. Also, it don't help one bit if an individual nominates his own find, then gripes in their posts why their find is not banner worthy. The find has to be found by YOU the TNet member, not the spouse/child/neighbor/best friend."

Again for clarification so there is not any further misunderstandings, the reason the coin does not qualify for the banner is because the coin was found before Joe joined TreasureNet, Joe was NOT a member of TreasureNet at the time he found the coin so it does not qualified for the banner...

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
the banner is the horizontal strip of royal arse kicking finds seen at the top of the forum page, see it? That's the banner. The op's find has it's own word. Stupendous. To hell with the banner.

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"As far as sharing with the land owners, it doesn't seem to be an issue here in America. I'd definately give the land owner something if they wanted;"

It has nothing to do with 'if they wanted'. Its moral integrity.

If a landowner said to me you can keep every coin you find, I would say OK. However, if that coin was worth thousands, I would go back to them & say ' although you said I could keep it, I made shed loads of money & here is your 50% share for allowing me the priviledge of hunting your land' - SIMPLE. If you think ripping off your fellow American is not an issue, than one day I hope they ban you.

Good comes to those that do good. I can tell you we have done well, & its not by ripping off our fellow man. But you do whatever pleases.

Well Crusader, if I found a coin worth thousands of dollars I too would give something back to the land owner. You assume that I have no "moral integrity" and am "ripping off" my fellow American without knowing the first thing about me.
This could be the reason our forefathers left England in the first place. They must have wanted to start their own country where people don't judge others and get their knickers in a bunch so quickly by assuming they know everything. :tongue3:

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find bud! Enjoy it. Don't worry about the banner, from what I have witnessed it is a popularity contest at best. I don't come here as much anymore because of the way things are done, but when I do come here, I am glad to see stuff like yours. Please do not let the obvious jealousy bug ya.

sejhorva

May 21, 2012
Ok i see, i am using the iphone app and it has no banner on top thats why i was lost.
went online to full site and there it was.
tjank you for your explaination , i do love this forum and find it very helpful. i was in no way nocking the site

clf_02

May 7, 2012
Natchez, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
jimmy uk said:
so are you saying there was 54 thousand of theses coins that where minted? if so then it aint a rare coin then ?

If you know anything at all about U.S. coins that is rare you have to consider the different varieties of the year. You have to consider how many get lost or destroyed. Then the number you are left with how many are actually left in good condition. Today U.S. coins are minted by the hundreds of thousands.

Last edited:

clf_02

May 7, 2012
Natchez, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And don't worry about alot of the comments. I am new too. I have also read alot of post on other new people's threads. There are a few here that like to post silly stuff and some that are jerks on the new people's post. Seems a few of the members have jealousy and issues with new people. But I don't think they speak for the majority on here. There are some that are polite and helpful.

Last edited:

ihavetone

Oct 24, 2010
Newark, Ohio
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
Oh my you now have the envy of most md's...congrats.and confirms that who ever lost it belongs in my quote.."Losers are my favorite kind of people".

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Crusader, if I found a coin worth thousands of dollars I too would give something back to the land owner. You assume that I have no "moral integrity" and am "ripping off" my fellow American without knowing the first thing about me.
This could be the reason our forefathers left England in the first place. They must have wanted to start their own country where people don't judge others and get their knickers in a bunch so quickly by assuming they know everything. :tongue3:

Nearly fell off my chair laughing.

Sorry you feel this was directed at you. Try reading again, I said 'if' you think ripping off your fellow American is not an issue. Clearly you don't, so no concerns needed. We are on the world wide web giving an impression or ammunition to those that hate our hobby. If they read that all we like is valuable finds that we sell for our gain with no mention of sharing with the land owners, its not an impression 'we' as a community should be confortable with.(not directed at the poster, I have had a PM explaining his deal, so this is a wider bigger question) We are then all labelled, I would prefer the label that includes the great good we do in the Historial Field. Maybe thats just me, & I will stand alone & take the stones.
Will anyone just give me a 'straight' answer, not a crazy one, about the discussions/agreements you gain prior to detecting private land (with respect to valuable items, you intend to sell). No one has said a thing about how they do this, how can I learn these obivious cultural differences if no-one talks about it. Why do you not discuss it? I still am none the wiser after reading 5 years of your posts, I have answered many of your questions on the same subject & its NEVER upset me. (I have actually answered every question ever given to me on Tnet, I can tell you that it's hundreds & not difficult)
Does anyone have contracts or is that unheard of in the States? Come on people enlighten me with your modus operandi?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is fairly rare here I think, they want give you a contract. I have gotten permission to hunt several pieces of private property, when I asked them about what I might find and if they wanted any of what l'm finding, they just said keep what i find and good luck, just remove the trash I find....

I am mostly a beach hunter, but I do hunt land sometimes though.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is reopened so smoklinjoe can update it...........

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: Spoke to Heritage on the phone today. The coin ended up in a NGC holder graded AU50 with environmental damage. I'm a happy camper!

electriceye

Jun 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac (purchase pending)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! :icon_thumleft: That's amazing! And it looks to be in fairly decent shape, too! All I found was a rock with a big hole in it. :)

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
Who cares about the stinkin Banner. Great find! I don;t hunt in order to get on the banner on this site so even if i found the rarest coin in the world, being in on the banner would not even be a concern of mine. Stop with all the "banner banter" already and enjoy this guys find.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Crusader, don't worry about the property owner. This is Joe's find and he doesn't need to explain himself to anyone. Feel free to give landowners their rightful share in England if you choose. You sound elitist and smug. Maybe this is why the population of Treasurenet as dwindled vastly.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
The amount of jealousy on Tnet is absurd. People can't just say "nice find". A fine example of this was when Aquachigger or whatever his name was posted all those silver coins he found that time. People calling him a liar and a fraud...It's hilarious that people get mad because their finds are garbage compared to his. I actually like when people find good things, if I'm not getting them at least someone is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread