Not open for further replies.

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay fellas, believe it or not, I recently dug up an 1870 "CC" Seated Liberty Half Dollar. When i found it, i only knew it was a Seated Liberty Half as i didn't want to clean it in the field. Anyway, after doing the "happy dance" for a awhile I headed home to rinse it off and do some research. I knew the seated liberty halves could fetch a few hundred dollars in good shape, so i really was happy as a pig in poop with that. Then while doing some reading i came across the statement "of particular interest to collectors is the rare 1870 Carson City Seated Half.....". Now my hearts beating a tad faster, because after cleaning the mud off it IS an 1870...but what the hell is the Carson City mean?? So after some more googling I find that Carson City was a mint and coins minted there will have a small "CC" on the reverse. Holy !!!!...no friggin way...there it is, right under the eagle's talons..."CC". So now, with my heart really beating and a !!!! eatin' grin on my face, i'm back on Google searching for the value of this coin. OH MY GOD! Never in a million years did i think i could find a single coin worth what this one is. I mean previous to this, i was hoping to find a gold ring worth a couple hundred bucks. I know most of you are going to believe this coin is a fake, or I'm a liar..but rest assured i am not a liar and I've already had an authorized PCGS agent look at it and confirm that he thought it was genuine. Enough so that he offered me 5 grand! Besides, the coin has been sent off to Heritage Auctions so I'll have the proof and the check soon.

Attachments

• _MG_9579.jpg
    _MG_9579.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 871
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,014
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 736
Upvote 21

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.It's hilarious that people get mad because their finds are garbage compared to his. I actually like when people find good things, if I'm not getting them at least someone is.

HEY! Just because I find more beaver tail and pop tabs don't mean they're garbage...oh wait...they are garbage...carry on :D

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
QuarterMaster said:
HEY! Just because I find more beaver tail and pop tabs don't mean they're garbage...oh wait...they are garbage...carry on :D

I see no reason for you to insult the contents of my pouch after most of my hunts. LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So smoking joe now what are you going to do with that coin now that it is graded?

I already stated that the coin has been sent to Heritage Auctions. It is being shown at the upcoming Phillie auction on august 2nd. In the meantime, the coin goes up for internet bids starting July 13th. Oh and btw, the coin is now listed with photos and description on Heritages site.

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I hope you're not going to sell it on eBay
Trust me, as someone who has thousands of feedbacks, I know what I'm talking about. You can lose your money and coin if it falls in the hands of a dishonest buyer.
PayPal just seized funds from my account on a transaction 82 days ago. Also my best friend just had his account locked down for 180 days and he had $22,000 in it.
Please be careful!

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you're not going to sell it on eBay
Trust me, as someone who has thousands of feedbacks, I know what I'm talking about. You can lose your money and coin if it falls in the hands of a dishonest buyer.
PayPal just seized funds from my account on a transaction 82 days ago. Also my best friend just had his account locked down for 180 days and he had $22,000 in it.
Please be careful!

I have stated several times that the coin is being auctioned by Heritage.

jimmy uk

Nov 3, 2010
Essex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can we have a link to this site its on please

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a beauty, and what are the odds of finding a coin that rare? Congrats man, that should be on the banner.

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
ummmmmm.................................welcome to Treasurenet. lol. Awesome find. Rarely do folks get to experience so much of treasurenet in their first post. I hope you will post more finds on this site, and you can post an Indian Head Cent or a toasted LC if that's all you find. It's nice to see someone is finding something on a day that wasn't fit for hunting in our part of the world.

HH!!
Cm2db

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
Congrads SmokinJoe on an awesome find. Only downside I can see to it is how you gonna top a find like that, lol.

Thanks for sharing such an awesome find and hope you forgive all the negative responses. Wasn't like this 6-7 years ago. Sure killed the joy out of what started off as great reading.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Smokin Joe is not smoking anthything!!!! Atta boy!!! 5 GRAND!

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5 GRAND?? I'm hoping for about triple that figure. I'm basing that on recent sales of similar coins. What do you guys think? Anyone care to take a stab at guessing what this coin will fetch by close of the auction?

U

umrgolf

5 GRAND?? I'm hoping for about triple that figure. I'm basing that on recent sales of similar coins. What do you guys think? Anyone care to take a stab at guessing what this coin will fetch by close of the auction?

seems like anywhere from $10,000-$20,000 would be my guess

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG that is really nice,
happy hunting

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, I have no hopes of ever finding anything as valuble as that........HH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread