Not open for further replies.

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay fellas, believe it or not, I recently dug up an 1870 "CC" Seated Liberty Half Dollar. When i found it, i only knew it was a Seated Liberty Half as i didn't want to clean it in the field. Anyway, after doing the "happy dance" for a awhile I headed home to rinse it off and do some research. I knew the seated liberty halves could fetch a few hundred dollars in good shape, so i really was happy as a pig in poop with that. Then while doing some reading i came across the statement "of particular interest to collectors is the rare 1870 Carson City Seated Half.....". Now my hearts beating a tad faster, because after cleaning the mud off it IS an 1870...but what the hell is the Carson City mean?? So after some more googling I find that Carson City was a mint and coins minted there will have a small "CC" on the reverse. Holy !!!!...no friggin way...there it is, right under the eagle's talons..."CC". So now, with my heart really beating and a !!!! eatin' grin on my face, i'm back on Google searching for the value of this coin. OH MY GOD! Never in a million years did i think i could find a single coin worth what this one is. I mean previous to this, i was hoping to find a gold ring worth a couple hundred bucks. I know most of you are going to believe this coin is a fake, or I'm a liar..but rest assured i am not a liar and I've already had an authorized PCGS agent look at it and confirm that he thought it was genuine. Enough so that he offered me 5 grand! Besides, the coin has been sent off to Heritage Auctions so I'll have the proof and the check soon.

Attachments

• _MG_9579.jpg
    _MG_9579.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 871
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,014
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 736
Upvote 21

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting for the update and to see that check.....?

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way Cool!!
Banner

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I Vote BANNER Find!

(Yes,,I know it's ineligible.. but I can still vote) :headbang:

CONGRATS! SmokinJoe :hello2::hello2::hello2:

It's a beautiful, rare, valuable coin! It's the kind of coin I deserve to find...maybe one day. :laughing7:

I've read EVERY comment on here and it's been entertaining but a little sad that we all didn't stick to the point...that being THIS is an amazing and wonderful find in our hobby that we all are happy SmokinJoe found!

I do agree with CRU's opinions but they kind of belong in another place where such opinions can be aired more directly.

DiggingNC

Apr 23, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett ProPointer, SunRay Pro Gold Headphones. Previousdetectors were White's, Garrett's and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude, what a dweeb comment! This is banner!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude, what a dweeb comment! This is banner!!

It is not qualified as a banner find, it was found before he became a TN member.........

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader, don't worry about the property owner. This is Joe's find and he doesn't need to explain himself to anyone. Feel free to give landowners their rightful share in England if you choose. You sound elitist and smug. Maybe this is why the population of Treasurenet as dwindled vastly.

I don't worry about the owner, its about the finder.
(if you wish to not share equally with the owners, carry on)

He/you only needs to explain it to God, or maybe you think otherwise.
:laughing9: I sleep at night. Maybe one day you will get a great find, until then, keep your thoughts to yourself, because you have little or no experience to add to this. Happy Hunting:laughing7:

Last edited:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Looks like an NGC AU Details Environmental Damage piece sold in April at heritage for $18,400. That one looks to be in a little better condition, but $15k+ looks to be a real possibility for your piece!! Assuming 15% commission, that's about $13,000 hammer and minus 5% seller commission, that's a nice tidy takehome of over $12k. After taxes (I'm no tax man), you might just walk away with $10k! Got my fingers crossed for you.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be tough to top that one man. The pics on the auction website really show the incredible detail on the coin. Good luck with the auction and congratulations!

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats smokin' joe, I'd be camping out where you found this one! Awesome find and thanx for the pics too. swamp yankee

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an NGC AU Details Environmental Damage piece sold in April at heritage for $18,400. That one looks to be in a little better condition, but $15k+ looks to be a real possibility for your piece!! Assuming 15% commission, that's about $13,000 hammer and minus 5% seller commission, that's a nice tidy takehome of over $12k. After taxes (I'm no tax man), you might just walk away with $10k! Got my fingers crossed for you.
You guys seem to forget the owners share:icon_scratch::BangHead: (shame it seems to be me, me, me)

Oh well good luck with all your money win. Spend it wisely. (MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED FOR THE LANDOWNER)

Last edited:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WooooooW !!! I was dancing a couple of weeks ago when I not only found my first seated,it was also a half,& has a CC mint mark,which was also my first CC mint mark, it is an 1877 and in very worn condition,but I'm not jealous,no I'm not jealous !!!!!!!! Congraulations on such a beautiful & rare find !!!! :notworthy: :headbang: :occasion14: 8-)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys seem to forget the owners share:icon_scratch::BangHead: (shame it seems to be me, me, me)

Oh well good luck with all your money win. Spend it wisely. (MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED FOR THE LANDOWNER)

C., he had permission to hunt the land by the land owner, in this country there is no law saying he has to share it with the land owner unless prior arrangements were made, he only has to share the money with the taxman.

Eswanny11

May 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you guys are so hardcore with rules, then shouldn't this banner thread be deleted? If I'm not mistaken it violates the first rule "You may not.... Post, upload, send personal messages, transmit or otherwise make available any inappropriate, inaccurate, abusive, hateful, vulgar, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, or unlawful content."

Isn't the title inaccurate? http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/289974-colonial-gold-coin.html#post2740889
Hey, rules are rules...

BANNER!:occasion14:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our rules have been in place for years and there is nothing about the title or this thread that violates our rules. He made a fantastic fine, just because it isn't qualified to be on the banner does not take anything away from his find.

Eswanny11

May 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our rules have been in place for years and there is nothing about the title or this thread that violates our rules. He made a fantastic fine, just because it isn't qualified to be on the banner does not take anything away from his find.

I am referring to the thread that I copied and pasted.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am referring to the thread that I copied and pasted.

That wasn't clear.... I looked at thread in question, he titled it that way as an April Fools joke, in first line he explained it was an April Fools joke and post made on april 1st,. The thread is fine....Coin found is legitimate find, since it dates from US ccolonial period he titled it as such as the joke........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread