Not open for further replies.

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay fellas, believe it or not, I recently dug up an 1870 "CC" Seated Liberty Half Dollar. When i found it, i only knew it was a Seated Liberty Half as i didn't want to clean it in the field. Anyway, after doing the "happy dance" for a awhile I headed home to rinse it off and do some research. I knew the seated liberty halves could fetch a few hundred dollars in good shape, so i really was happy as a pig in poop with that. Then while doing some reading i came across the statement "of particular interest to collectors is the rare 1870 Carson City Seated Half.....". Now my hearts beating a tad faster, because after cleaning the mud off it IS an 1870...but what the hell is the Carson City mean?? So after some more googling I find that Carson City was a mint and coins minted there will have a small "CC" on the reverse. Holy !!!!...no friggin way...there it is, right under the eagle's talons..."CC". So now, with my heart really beating and a !!!! eatin' grin on my face, i'm back on Google searching for the value of this coin. OH MY GOD! Never in a million years did i think i could find a single coin worth what this one is. I mean previous to this, i was hoping to find a gold ring worth a couple hundred bucks. I know most of you are going to believe this coin is a fake, or I'm a liar..but rest assured i am not a liar and I've already had an authorized PCGS agent look at it and confirm that he thought it was genuine. Enough so that he offered me 5 grand! Besides, the coin has been sent off to Heritage Auctions so I'll have the proof and the check soon.

Attachments

• _MG_9579.jpg
    _MG_9579.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 870
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,013
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 735
Upvote 21
OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The coin was found in Upstate NY, on private land that was once a large farm dating back to the early 1800's. The home is long gone but through diligent research and numerous relics and coins I'm pretty sure I've located the yard where the house once stood. From this area i've dug an 1827 Large cent, 1868 2 cent piece, 5 indian head pennies, and a good dozen and half wheaties. Lately though, i hadn't been finding much of anything. So, feeling that i might have "cleaned" this area, i decided to move into the wooded areas surrounding the house. These woods would have been the farmers fields way back then. I knew the signals would be fewer and far between back there, but i also figured there would be a better chance at less garbage to dig. Well i was right, the signals were few and far between. For a good hour i heard not the slightest peep out of my detector, and then PING! PING! PING! I gotta admit, it was such a solid ring that i thought for sure it was something large like an aluminum can, but the ACE 250 insisted it was a half dollar. The Ace has lied to me about every other half dollar signal. So i really was expecting a can. To my amazement though, in a hole no deeper than 4 inches there she layed. Ya know, this is an incredible find but ya want here something even crazier about finding this coin? It is my first silver coin! Honest to god, i've never found even a rosie dime. On the other hand, i by no means call myself "lucky". I spend just as much time at the library as i do in the field...and i don't give up. Neither should you...happy hunting fellas. Oh and just for the record, i didn't find this today...it was a week ago. I signed up today and this is my first post because i HAD TO share this find with you guys. It would be down right selfish not to. This is the kind of find that keeps us ALL out there digging, not just me.

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@testing123 No man, that's the reason i chose to send it to Heritage. They will take care of all that for me. ANACS would have been the cheapest route to get it authenticated but why bother when my intention was to sell it. I've had an authorized PCGS agent offer me 5 grand for it...that's all the authentication i need. If it's fake, Heritage will just refuse it. No money spent!

New Direction

Apr 10, 2012
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the back story. Glad to know a sub $300 detector earns its keep again!

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@DPBOB: The agent at Heritage suggested That the upcoming Coin show in Philadelphia in August would be a good venue to sell it. he hasn't even got the coin yet though, i just mailed it today. So i really don't know how long they will take to possibly send it to NCS for preservation and then off to PCGS for grading. Unfortunately, from what i've read "dug" coins are raely actually given a grade. Instead they give a details grade only and an explanation why. Example: My coin will likely be something like "XF" details with "Environmental damage".

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ACE 250 has been good to me....but after finding this I immediately ordered the Garret AT Pro.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find..you get a banner nod from me too..congrats

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin and great start!

Welcome aboard TNet. Banner and a $5 grand offer for your first silver - not bad.

Bum Luck

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a great coin! But new member with a first post shouldnt be on top. Nice find.
so would sitting on it a few months and putting in 100 post change that fact,I know this statement has come up before and will probably hear it again later in this post,I see a 1870 Seated Liberty half an excellent find,and being a CC..........a banner find

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a great coin! But new member with a first post shouldnt be on top. Nice find.

Hmmm???...that just doesn't make much sense to me. But hey, i don't care man. I didn't post this seeking "banner"...hell, i didn't even know what it was. I just wanted to share a really rare find with people that share this hobby/passion.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 grand seems like a low ball offer to me. the coin is in nice condition in spite of the obvious toning. my estimate is that it should be worth at least 10-12 grand

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin and a great find, not taking anything away from it at all, but as you say it is also a find you made before you join TreasureNet...

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!...Amazing!....Killer!....Oh! and ya got my vote too....HH and congrats

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find man! Of course I would never sell it. I would wait and hold on to that puppy!

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome Find!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread