Not open for further replies.

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay fellas, believe it or not, I recently dug up an 1870 "CC" Seated Liberty Half Dollar. When i found it, i only knew it was a Seated Liberty Half as i didn't want to clean it in the field. Anyway, after doing the "happy dance" for a awhile I headed home to rinse it off and do some research. I knew the seated liberty halves could fetch a few hundred dollars in good shape, so i really was happy as a pig in poop with that. Then while doing some reading i came across the statement "of particular interest to collectors is the rare 1870 Carson City Seated Half.....". Now my hearts beating a tad faster, because after cleaning the mud off it IS an 1870...but what the hell is the Carson City mean?? So after some more googling I find that Carson City was a mint and coins minted there will have a small "CC" on the reverse. Holy !!!!...no friggin way...there it is, right under the eagle's talons..."CC". So now, with my heart really beating and a !!!! eatin' grin on my face, i'm back on Google searching for the value of this coin. OH MY GOD! Never in a million years did i think i could find a single coin worth what this one is. I mean previous to this, i was hoping to find a gold ring worth a couple hundred bucks. I know most of you are going to believe this coin is a fake, or I'm a liar..but rest assured i am not a liar and I've already had an authorized PCGS agent look at it and confirm that he thought it was genuine. Enough so that he offered me 5 grand! Besides, the coin has been sent off to Heritage Auctions so I'll have the proof and the check soon.

Attachments

• _MG_9579.jpg
    _MG_9579.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 871
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,014
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 736
Upvote 21

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think I could have sold it. Least not until I really needed it. The kind of stuff you gotta hold and get the feel of for the full effect. When friends were over I would place it in there hands and watch their eyeballs when I told them how much I was offered but wouldn't take. Just too cool. Nice find my friend.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That banner comment sounds like pure jealousy to me.
There's no reason to be mean.
The guy found a great coin. 1 post or 10000. Does it really make a difference.
He's the man! (and you're not!)
Awesome coin.

U

umrgolf

Great find Joe. I think you are misunderstanding the guys talking about you being new. They aren't trying to be rude, just quoting some Treasurenet rules. There is one rule about new members not being able to make the banner or something. That's all theyre talking about

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and your point is????

Not taking anything away from your great find at all, only that while it is a great find, it wouldnt qualify as a banner find since you found it before joining TreasureNet.

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not taking anything away from your great find at all, only that while it is a great find, it wouldnt qualify as a banner find since you found it before joining TreasureNet.
Maybe i'm missing something here. Is there more to this banner thing that i don't know about? Why do you care if a new guy gets banner? Isn't it the find your interested in and not the finder?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe i'm missing something here. Is there more to this banner thing that i don't know about? Why do you care if a new guy gets banner? Isn't it the find your interested in and not the finder?

Just as you stated, you found it before you were a TN member, it takes nothing away from your great find, just that it is something you found before joining TN........... It is kinda like catching a trophy bass before a tournament, while it is a trophy bass, it wouldn't qualify for the tournament....

I have artifacts I found while walking fields and stream in Missouri that would probably make banner, but I found them before I joined TN.....

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just as you stated, you found it before you were a TN member, it takes nothing away from your great find, just that it is something you found before joining TN........... It is kinda like catching a trophy bass before a tournament, while it is a trophy bass, it wouldn't qualify for the tournament....

I have artifacts I found while walking fields and stream in Missouri that would probably make banner, but I found them before I joined TN.....

You're just repeating yourself. You didn't answer my question.

But to address your statement: if you're going to compare my coin to a fish, it would be a New York State record bass not just a trophy.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier in the day you had no idea what a banner was and now you seem upset you don't receive the award. Well there must be some comfort in being nominated though ineligible, all the while waiting for your $5,000.

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earlier in the day you had no idea what a banner was and now you seem upset you don't receive the award. Well there must be some comfort in being nominated though ineligible, all the while waiting for your $5,000.

I'm just curious, what part of my post made you feel i'm "upset"? Quite the contrary my friend, I'm happier than a pig in poop.
I just found it odd that everyone except one guy thinks i deserve "Banner" and i think it's ridiculous that how many posts i've made is a factor in considering wether it's "Banner" material.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the Banner used to be titled "Recent Discoveries by our Members"

No disrespect intended.
your find is a "Banner type" find.
however cannot be placed on the Banner above or everyone here who ever found a rare item
in their lives deserves it also.
recently we had members complaining because someone was adding banners after 2 or 3 reports.
we also had one member quit when we bannered a find of his before he felt it deserved it.

I promised our long time members our Banner will stay as special as possible.

which means to me, no cutting corners :tongue3:

again awesome find, I wish I found it :notworthy:

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The coin was found in Upstate NY, on private land that was once a large farm dating back to the early 1800's. The home is long gone but through diligent research and numerous relics and coins I'm pretty sure I've located the yard where the house once stood. From this area i've dug an 1827 Large cent, 1868 2 cent piece, 5 indian head pennies, and a good dozen and half wheaties. Lately though, i hadn't been finding much of anything. So, feeling that i might have "cleaned" this area, i decided to move into the wooded areas surrounding the house. These woods would have been the farmers fields way back then. I knew the signals would be fewer and far between back there, but i also figured there would be a better chance at less garbage to dig. Well i was right, the signals were few and far between. For a good hour i heard not the slightest peep out of my detector, and then PING! PING! PING! I gotta admit, it was such a solid ring that i thought for sure it was something large like an aluminum can, but the ACE 250 insisted it was a half dollar. The Ace has lied to me about every other half dollar signal. So i really was expecting a can. To my amazement though, in a hole no deeper than 4 inches there she layed. Ya know, this is an incredible find but ya want here something even crazier about finding this coin? It is my first silver coin! Honest to god, i've never found even a rosie dime. On the other hand, i by no means call myself "lucky". I spend just as much time at the library as i do in the field...and i don't give up. Neither should you...happy hunting fellas. Oh and just for the record, i didn't find this today...it was a week ago. I signed up today and this is my first post because i HAD TO share this find with you guys. It would be down right selfish not to. This is the kind of find that keeps us ALL out there digging, not just me.

Will you give the Land owner 50% of the profits gained?
I hear very little about US detector users sharing:icon_scratch:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will you give the Land owner 50% of the profits gained?
I hear very little about US detector users sharing:icon_scratch:

:icon_scratch: Looks like 2 different countries
continents_map_sm.jpg

Since I don't make Judgements on people from other Countries,
I Prefer not reading Judgements on People from here either :occasion14:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning SmokinJoe,
Thank you for sharing your find and this adventure with us. It will be so interesting to see what happens in August at the auction your coin will be in. I would guess that long before the auction that the auction house will publish the auction booklet with photographs and comments about the "Best Coins" and yours should be there. As another part of this adventure it would be cool to have a copy of that booklet. I had to smile when I read you'd already purchased a better detector, good on ya!

I've found that wireless earphones are a true blessing and would suggest a pair of TDK WR700's from NewEgg, item # 26-131-003 and be sure and check for a coupon to see if you can get a few more dollars off on them. They are very responsive headphones with superb clarity and I think they are better than the wireless Sennhisers I have.

Again, thank you for sharing your Superb Find with us, I've always loved Carson City coins!...........63bkpkr

Last edited:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Super Silver Find! Congrats :thumbsup:
I'd recommend posting all your 'interesting finds', not just the 'Stunners'.
Myself and others are interested in seeing anything special you might find.
When I started, I was so excited about finding anything old, I posted most everything I found,
It seems that beginners luck is a real occurrence in this field, (it certainly was for me).
So keep on digging, post the stuff you find, and tell us a story.
With site research, knowing your detector and putting in the hours,
you'll get another find worthy of Banner Status.
Also think about submitting your story to the detecting mags, you got a really good chance
of getting this coin in one of the 'best of' issues.
I hope you got your fill of holding that piece before it was sent off,
Enjoy your windfall! HH & Keep em coming!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: Looks like 2 different countries
View attachment 641488

Since I don't make Judgements on people from other Countries,
I Prefer not reading Judgements on People from here either :occasion14:

You point winds me up, of course you are a different country. Does that mean I can't ask a simple question. If I don't ask how can I find out the differences of other countries Modus operandi?
If US members don't want to answer questions like this, then all I can fall back on is judgement/speculation, what I'm trying to do is understand by gaining the facts?

Sorry Jeff, this kinda throw me in a spin. I do not judge anyone or country in that way. It was a general observation & not a poke at your country. I really do struggle to understand your rules, & I know many of you gain permission but I read very little about rewarding the owners. Maybe it happens a lot, but not written about on here
:dontknow: (Maybe landowners in the US are different to UK, I have no clue)

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning SmokinJoe,
Thank you for sharing your find and this adventure with us. It will be so interesting to see what happens in August at the auction your coin will be in. I would guess that long before the auction that the auction house will publish the auction booklet with photographs and comments about the "Best Coins" and yours should be there. As another part of this adventure it would be cool to have a copy of that booklet. I had to smile when I read you'd already purchased a better detector, good on ya!

I've found that wireless earphones are a true blessing and would suggest a pair of TDK WR700's from NewEgg, item # 26-131-003 and be sure and check for a coupon to see if you can get a few more dollars off on them. They are very responsive headphones with superb clarity and I think they are better than the wireless Sennhisers I have.

Again, thank you for sharing your Superb Find with us, I've always loved Carson City coins!...........63bkpkr

Off topic warning at this point 8-)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're just repeating yourself. You didn't answer my question.

But to address your statement: if you're going to compare my coin to a fish, it would be a New York State record bass not just a trophy.

Sorry, I thought I answered your question, I was only repeating why it isn't eligible as a banner find..............I wasn't taking anything away from your find at all, just isn't eligible as a banner find since it was found before you joined TreasureNet...

If someone found an original signed copy of the Declaration Of Independence it would be an once in a lifetime, AMAZING find, but if they found it before joining TreasureNet it wouldn't qualify as a Banner Find here.....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I thought I answered your question, I was only repeating why it isn't eligible as a banner find..............I wasn't taking anything away from your find at all, just isn't eligible as a banner find since it was found before you joined TreasureNet...

If someone found an original signed copy of the Declaration Of Independence it would be an once in a lifetime, AMAZING find, but if they found it before joining TreasureNet it wouldn't qualify as a Banner Find here.....

I agree, these rules are fair & have been in force for many years, it would be a shame to drop the standard & very unfair on hundreds of similar banner worthy finds (which I agree yours is) we have seen posted by new members.

Glad you shared it & continue being pleased with it being banner worthy, as we know it is, no arguement there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread