One in a thousand pits! Maybe one in a million pits! We still cant believe it!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
One in a thousand pits! Maybe one in a million pits! We still can't believe it!

Well folks we were at it again doing some privy digging back at the site where we found the double eagle flask( my Avatar). This privy is in sight of that pit we did. A different home altogether though. We had already dug two pits as we started out bright and early at 9:00 am. That's early for us since we dig all day long it seams:tongue3: So not much action in the first two pits. Just some common stuff, blank medicines and some perfumery type bottles. Nothing to faint about, that comes later:laughing7:

So Don figured he had probed this pit a few days earlier and it just kept calling him back. We know that we are dogging every possible pit, trash or privy in this location though. So we decided to give it a go. It felt really crunchy like gravel or cinders in the pit. Sure enough the first 3 feet or so was filled with cinders, maybe from an early furnace or stove. So we figured anything in the pit would be obliterated!:BangHead: So we kept probing as we went down. Poke here, poke there, poke everywhere just to reassure us that we should keep digging. I was within a minute or two of just giving in and calling it on this one when I thought to myself, let's just finish it since we are all the way down here. So we kept at it and finally the cinders stopped and we saw a bit more regular ash and some dirt mixed in.

I was concentrating on a corner area that felt really soft and relatively cinder free. It was then when I saw the bottom of a bottle that at first glance appeared to be intact. And I thought for sure it was Hood's Sarsaparilla. Pretty common bottle but at least it's something. It had the indented panel that looked like it at first. It was time to get the hand rake and be a bit more careful. So I slowly scraped away a huge conglomerate of rust and debris that was right on top of it. That's when I saw the whole thing move. Do and I said the same thing, and that was " It moved to easy, it's broke." So I kept at it and saw that the base had several sides, more than a sarsaparilla bottle. And it was huge!!:headbang: Then I thought to myself it's a Apothecary bottle from a store. Still jazzed up about that even, I pulled on the base and it broke loose from it's Earthly confines!

"Holy *#@*, it's a Cathedral Pickle and it's a gallon size." :hello2: Unbelievable as I pulled it out I quickly scanned the entire bottle for probe holes, cracks, chips or whatever would give us a huge letdown. Nothing, nothing at all but a crisp beautiful huge cathedral. Wow...I don't know about you all, but I am sure I am right by saying these don't pop up out of privies very often. Maybe One in Thousand pits, Maybe a Million Pits! Who knows....I have never even seen a piece of one let alone the entire bottle intact! Needless to say Don and I were giggling like school kids for several minutes. It's those times as a pit digger, as I am sure other pit diggers would agree, that when you find something that makes you shake uncontrollably for minutes on end then you found something great. Historical and just flat out cool! It will go down as one of our best finds for sure. It sure was nice to dig this behemoth and get it out whole.

As Mel Fisher would say, Today's the Day! It sure was for us:thumbsup: Hope you enjoy the pictures as Don was snapping them as fast as he could. Thanks for looking and remember to always be safe out the while treasure hunting! :icon_thumleft: jgas

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 247
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 219
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 226
  • C4.jpg
    C4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 242
  • C5.jpg
    C5.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 221
  • C6.jpg
    C6.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 219
  • C7.jpg
    C7.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 235
  • C8.jpg
    C8.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 226
  • C9.jpg
    C9.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 233
  • C10.jpg
    C10.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN3372.JPG
    DSCN3372.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 8

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh My GOSH!! That thing is gorgeous! And huge!! What a beautiful bottle!! What do you guys do when you find something that nice? How do you split your finds?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
man that is some hole you dug!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice. I want to dig in poop holes too. ;o)

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Super nice and a RARE find too! The gallon size is a find of a life time! Congrats. Tennessee digger

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
she's a beauty, Congrats on a great find..

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a KILLER bottle!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice work jgas these were selling for a grand plus not too long ago. That is a heck of a monster. It's bigger than the full moon. Nice score:headbang:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good GAWD! That thing is HUGE! You guys sure are pros at this. WTG!

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds ! Love the pictures with the big smiles ! Congrats
Glen

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome bottles.:thumbsup:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Amazing! Found many pieces but a very tough bottle to dig whole. Congrats.
-Ev

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Thanks for all the great replies everyone. It sure made my jaw drop when I pulled it out "Alive" Yep, wish it were amber but I ain't complaining. LOL.....We may just have to hold on to this one for a bit. Not really sure what they are worth but what the heck, better than a sharp stick in the eye. Or nothing in the massive holes we dig. Ha Ha. Just to let you know, we dug 4 privies that day, all around 6 feet deep. Took a bit more than 7 hours total! Fun stuff, thanks for looking and I love the replies. jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread