Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early 1900's Watch Camera & Japanese Coin

Today was the day that I finally made it to my friend's place to hunt his now vacant neighbors place. The house was basically taken over by a bunch of partiers that just took advantage of the semi-crazy woman that lived there for the past few years. It was a fairly big back yard for being in the middle of a city block. Along with the neighbor who's been a good friend of mine for 20+ years, I also know a couple more people in the vicinity. Every time we do yard work at any of the houses that involves digging of any kind we find numerous old bottles and even a couple of clay pipes as well. Unfortunately I didn't own a detector when my buddy turned his huge backyard into a rock garden so I'll never quite know what I missed out on there. This is why I jumped at the opportunity to hunt the neighbors yard this morning.

I brought all 3 machines with me today but started with the Minelab. Not more than 1 minute after starting the hunt I got a signal that I woulda' bet my paycheck on being a penny but I couldn't have been more wrong. I popped out this Japanese coin which I first thought may have been a token. I believe it's Japanese anyway. If any of you can help with the year or denomination it would be much appreciated. It's the same size as a quarter.

JAPANESE COIN 1.jpg JAPANESE COIN 2.jpg

After going over the whole yard east-west and finding nothing else too exciting I went back over the yard north-south and found a small buckle, what I think is a bicycle license place, $2 in clad quarters + several clad dimes and memorials, etc. About 1/2 way through the yard for the second run I hit a solid, bigger signal and decided to dig. First out of the hole was 2 early canning jar lids but no broken glass. The pinpointer was still going off so I kept digging and finally uncovered what was making all the noise.

CAMERA GROUND.jpg

I thought that I had a real good chance of having found my first coin cache but after picking it up and shaking it I realized that whatever it was, it was empty.

CAMERA HAND.jpg

I glanced at it for maybe 15 seconds and put it in the pouch without really having even a guess as to what it was. After the hunt, I went next door to my friend's house and showed him everything I had found. I pulled this out and instantly guessed that it was a compass because of the little lever on the side which looks like you would push forward to lock the needle. It seemed like a prefect guess so I packed everything up and headed back home to clean up my finds.

The first thing I did was open it up. It was a bit tough but could have been much worse. The first thing I saw was a label of some sort that was in terrible condition and a small pile of metal dust.

CAMERA OPEN 2.jpg CAMERA OPEN.jpg

At this point I'm thinking it's not a compass.. but what is it? I knew there were some initials or writing on the cover and also something stamped into the back but I couldn't make it out so I went over the whole thing lightly with a soft bristle tooth brush and BRASSO cut with a little water. I then saw "Par Throughout The World - The EXPO Camera, New York". After looking it up I learned that it's a EXPO Watch Camera which was produced from 1905-1938. Sometimes called a "spy" camera as well.

Link/Info: Expo Watch Camera

Here it is all cleaned up.

CAMERA CLEAN 6.jpg CAMERA CLEAN 2.jpg
CAMERA CLEAN 3.jpg CAMERA CLEAN 4.jpg CAMERA CLEAN 5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 1

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I brought all 3 machines with me today but started with the Minelab. Not more than 1 minute after starting the hunt I got a signal that I woulda' bet my paycheck on being a penny but I couldn't have been more wrong. I popped out this Japanese coin which I first thought may have been a token. I believe it's Japanese anyway. If any of you can help with the year or denomination it would be much appreciated. It's the same size as a quarter.

That's incredible! Who woulda thunk it? I just posted the same coin! LOL

Great finds!

HH

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's incredible! Who woulda thunk it? I just posted the same coin! LOL

Great finds!

HH

That's cool.. Yes, we both found the same Japanese coin on the same day.

Mine was in Minnesota.. yours?

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE ON COIN:

It's Chinese, not Japanese as I originally thought.

I tried to do the research myself but got a little lost so emailed the admin of a coin website that specializes in Japanese and Chinese coins. This was his response th the 2nd pic.

That is the Emperor Ch'ien Lung who ruled from 1736 to1796. NO way to determine where in that period it wasmade.

These coins were still commonly circulating in China until about the1890's, but after that they were commonly seen as decorations on sewingbaskets made in China until about the 1940's so many of them arrived inthe USA in the early 1900's.

Robert

By far my oldest find so far! That will be tough to beat

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that camera is too cool. fantastic find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread