1820s NAVY BUTTON- Cane Field Bandits~

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
95° heat, 100 % humidity, a new permission to hunt another field. Buckleboy and I took advantage of it and spent the better part of the day hunting. After eye balling a few clay pipe stems, blue feathered scalloped edge china and some other good signs we realized that we had discovered yet another late 1700s to mid 1800s site. I got an ear piercing signal from the old Tesoro that excited me down to one knee. I dug a crumbling plug and pulled what appeared to be a flat button from the sun hardened clay. Called BB over as I usually do to share the excitement and get his opinion of what I had recovered. He brushed a bit of the dirt off with a sugar cane stem (like we do with a tooth pick) and pointed out what was obviously an eagle. We settled on a military button of some sort and left it at that. After a good tooth picking at home I sent BB a photograph. He looked it up in the Alberts guide to buttons and found a match. NA 71. A Navy button from the 1820s. I am really excited about this find! I cant wait to get back out there and see what else awaits discovery!!

Attachments

• 100_5171.JPG
    100_5171.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 139
  • hand.jpg
    hand.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 120
  • hand2.jpg
    hand2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Shane. That button's age is consistent with the other 1812-20 buttons you guys have dug there. I unserstand Anthony got hot-LOL. WTG, Quindy.

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Nice Save, Congratulations.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, my friend. That is the first Navy button I have personally witnessed being dug, CW or earlier. So a big congrats. Nice to see things like that turning up down here. I like that photo I took of you diggin. You can see the low sun on the field, and those ominous storm clouds that dumped torrential rain on us on the way home. Glad we got out of there when we did, hearing the lightning strikes through electrical interference in the headphones is Not a good sign! :D

Cheers,

Buck

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great save! Worth all that sweat, huh? ;o)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread