civil war bullets, silver, tokens, old hat/lapel pin etc.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a small assortment of finds I've picked out of some very trashy & hunted out sites over the past week or so. There are a couple of Civil War bullets, (some 69 cal. round balls, some 54 cal. round balls, and 1 44 Cal. Sage pistol bullet. The balls came from a "hunted out area". The 44 cal. came out of a sidewalk tear out on Tuesday evening (also have a 69 cal 3 ringer from that tear out from a few days before but it's not pictured). I was the 3rd detectorist to go over the area. When I'd checked in on my buddy who hunted the spot first he told me that there was a lot of bits and pieces of iron in the ground and not much else. That's usually a cue for me to hit it with my 6 inch sunray coil and pick up the leftovers.). The heavily chewed 69 cal miniball (not sure if it was 3 or 2 rings) came from a pretty much hunted out encampment and was my only find that day other than the back of a cuff button. But that's okay, I always like finding those bullets that the soldiers chewed. I have 4 or 5 now and all are different calibers. Also pictured is a primitive square copper local token with H. Unnerstall in a semicircle stamped into it (sidewalk tearout find). At one time it had a "good for....." stamped in the center but that's pretty much gone now and very, very hard to see. Unnerstall's owned a drugstore here locally but I think this token may be from before that and could have been from a hotel or grocers. There's 1 1903 Indian head that was very crusty and technically an eyeball find as it was laying washed out where I was detecting a local park, had to put it in electrolisis for a bit to even make out the indian's head or date, nice little coin now. Same picture shows a 53 Rosie (another eyeball find the day I found the indian), and an 1896 V Nickel that came out of another hunted out park (There's a very cool flower with a green glass center that was a very deep find from the same park as the V nickel and has to be from the early 1800's. It was originally a lapel or hat pin but the pin on the back was broken off.). The day I found the Indian and Rosie I was using a new 13" Ultimate coil I'd just bought for deep stuff. Figures my only 2 good finds would be on the surface!! LOL Also is a keyplate from a building that was a meeting place at a local park in the early 1900's and burned down many, many years ago. The plate was crusted with corrosion until electrolisis. Then there's a '43 D Merc from a virtual field of nails at that park, a miracle picking it out of that spot! The donut shaped token is a good luck token from "Lucky Auto Seat Covers" (I feel like there's a joke to tell there somehow....Lucky seat covers? The other side says "Keep me for Good Luck". The little brass rivet in that picture I'm particularly proud of because it is attached to a chunk of iron (sidewalk tearout). It's Civil War era but from what I don't know, just neat to be able to get a positive signal with it attached to so much iron. And that's it for now. Back to it for an hour tomorrow morning if I'm lucky...... HH to all!

Attachments

• 530finds5.jpg
    530finds5.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 530finds4.jpg
    530finds4.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 300
  • 530finds3.jpg
    530finds3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 530finds2.jpg
    530finds2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 530finds1.jpg
    530finds1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 612finds.jpg
    612finds.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 612finds1.jpg
    612finds1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 1

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you like your 13" dd ultimate coil ? was it worth the money ? tempted to buy one for my dfx.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking stuff!

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds any day Ssweeper -

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! The "donut-shaped token" is the outer ring from an encased penny good luck piece. They were made with a cent in the center, and the cent was often punched out by a kid wanting a piece of candy instead. The heck with the usual slogan, "Keep Me and Never Go Broke"...

The H. Unnerstall token is of the type known as "St. Louis Part-Incused". Several St. Louis companies produced this type where the back side is either blank or carries their company signature. The "good for" part is in raised letters in the center, and the issuer's name, H. Unnerstall in this case, is incused around the outside. The MO token cataloger and others have done a lot of research to date these based on the maker's signature, but I am sure yours is no longer readable.

The 1904 St. Louis City Directory lists a Henry Unnerstall Dairy at 6350 Ouida Ave. In the 1908-13 Directories he is at 6317 Ouida Ave. He apparently retired after that. Henry is the only Unnerstall I find with initial H in a business appropriate for tokens.

John in the Great 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions