TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out MDing with my dad at a local city park today, first time out of the backyard. I checked the local rules and ordinances and found nothing so we went.

As nickles and pull tabs are so close/same on my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV MD I dug anything in that level as I am looking for V and Buffalo nickels. I found 21 pull tabs, 4 bottle lids/caps, 1 bolt, various pieces of scrap metal, 13 pennies, 1 wheat penny (1937), 1 dime (2006 P), 1 nickel (1998 P).

I found out my BH TIV seems to go to a max depth of 3 to 4 inches, as my dad has a Garrett Ace 250 and was digging coins (many more wheat pennies than my one) down to 6 inches (and 8 inches on a couple).

So I'm hoping to get another MD soon that will allow me to find the deeper coins too. My family though is already interested in using my current MD to go detecting too when I get another. :D So it looks like there will be a few others I can go with as well.

It was fun, and we had no problems (just several people watching interested in us MDing), so we plan to go check out another part of the park tomorrow. :D

My only complaint is my knees after the 5 hours trip to the park. They are still red and painful nearly 6 hours later. I am thinking of sewing my knee pads in a old pair of pants so I can use them (the velcro straps make the back of my legs hurt worse than not using them).

HH to you all.

finds-june9-12.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I have, but still trying to get the hang of digging a plug that doesn't kill the grass (been dry and crumbling lately). Of course still learning the machine by ear, but once I get my coil and pinpointer I'll be looking to try the new places. In my city there are at least a dozen parks, half dozen schools, and various other places to go to. I've also been hearing about some places to try that always have silver in nearby cities.

It's strange everyone seems to have some great ideas/places of where to MD once they know you are in the hobby. I have to ask is the KellyCo "State By State Treasure Guide" CD helpful? I don't have a direct link, but it is found under Option 2 accessories of any MD order.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the post by tallguybry I just added to it to update. It has a video that shows how to use screwdriver to get your coin!Its called I bought my first detector!

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found it, seems like a great trick thanks for letting me know; however, I agree with dustytrails123 - after seeing the technique on many Youtube videos myself it seems they make a larger hole maneuvering the screwdriver around/under the probe and seem to scratch the coin half the time.

My aunt bought a rounded probe and tool and even after much practicing had a very limited depth, seemed to pull out a lot of grass, and hurt quite a few old coins. She quit using the technique and recommends digging a plug anymore. I still figure I'd like to try it sooner or later as it may be useful when I am working with a crowd watching me (seems to be a popular past time lately at the park).

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really depends on the depth and the tip of the screw driver needs to be ground to remove sharp edges. It needs to be practiced to be able to demonstrate for an audience. I have a curved plug cutting knife that I do the same trick with and keep the tip dull for the same reason. I used to use a potatoe digger and that cut a small neat plug. It would work great now with a pin pointer because you wouldnt end up with three plug holes when you missed. I bet if you got some root hormone and sprayed it on the roots before replacing the plug it would take better.

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for explaining it, I think it is worth investigating. Do you use a probe and screwdriver (the probe to locate the coin and mark the place and the screwdriver to get the coin) or just a screwdriver for both?

The biggest problem I've had so far with cutting the u shaped flaps/plugs in the ground is the large amount of gravel in most places I dig. It seems there is a thin layer of dirt on top then a inch or two of gravel followed by more dirt. I have to say though in most cases my digging technique is clean and hard to detect, and so far I haven't seen any dead grass (other than my backyard when I first did it with a small knife).

Ha yeah I know about the multiple holes to find the same target - seems the most common reason is a dime or something small that gets overlooked and gets moved beside the current spot. I can't wait to get my pinpointer, it will save so much time, effort, and digging. :D

The root spray is a good idea, I've read some carry a bottle around with miracle-grow to spray on any digged areas.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a probe and that won't work if you hit a rock and think it is a coin. The pro pointer will detect up to 3 inches and you can then know exactly where it is. Your new 4 inch coil should be great for pinpointing deep targets too. If I don't see the coin when I pry the driver out I check both sides to see if it is in either flap or deeper. I only use the technique for targets that I can locate with the pointer. I can have these targets out of the ground so fast that I don't mind digging pulltabs. Today I carried a spray bottle of miracle grow root treatment and sprayed the bottoms of the 8 plugs that I dug. Found $1.67 and an Eagle Token was all. Surprised to have found that much as I detected the area last week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread