TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out MDing with my dad at a local city park today, first time out of the backyard. I checked the local rules and ordinances and found nothing so we went.

As nickles and pull tabs are so close/same on my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV MD I dug anything in that level as I am looking for V and Buffalo nickels. I found 21 pull tabs, 4 bottle lids/caps, 1 bolt, various pieces of scrap metal, 13 pennies, 1 wheat penny (1937), 1 dime (2006 P), 1 nickel (1998 P).

I found out my BH TIV seems to go to a max depth of 3 to 4 inches, as my dad has a Garrett Ace 250 and was digging coins (many more wheat pennies than my one) down to 6 inches (and 8 inches on a couple).

So I'm hoping to get another MD soon that will allow me to find the deeper coins too. My family though is already interested in using my current MD to go detecting too when I get another. :D So it looks like there will be a few others I can go with as well.

It was fun, and we had no problems (just several people watching interested in us MDing), so we plan to go check out another part of the park tomorrow. :D

My only complaint is my knees after the 5 hours trip to the park. They are still red and painful nearly 6 hours later. I am thinking of sewing my knee pads in a old pair of pants so I can use them (the velcro straps make the back of my legs hurt worse than not using them).

HH to you all.

finds-june9-12.jpg

Upvote 0

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wheaties are always good. You are going to get rid of your custom detector already? Just go detecting in the rain and get 2 more inches in depth. Some depth can be added by going slow and overlapping sweeps because concentric coils are deepest in the middle of the coil. Make sure coil is flat on the ground to get the most out of what you have. Then when you can afford it get a Tesoro and get the most bang for your buck. Good luck on your next outing.

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nah, I am keeping it for sure. :D I just need better depth for my clay ground to find the coins I'm looking for - and as a bonus the talk of a upgrade has several other of my family members interested in detecting, and it would be great to "loan out" my current MD during outings.

I did beat my dad with his Garrett Ace 250 when determining a "coin" though today with the BH TIV. The Ace 250 said it with a penny 2 inches down, I checked and told him it was just a pull tab - indeed the pull tab was all he found in the spot. :D

Interesting you mentioned the Tesoro as that is what I am currently looking at, the Silver μMax or Cibola. Any recommendations? I like the fact of the lifetime warranty, great depth range, and it is a lot like the BH TIV as it has no display and is all audio -- which is something I really like. :thumbsup:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the dependability of analog detectors. My first detector was a Tesoro Inca that I used for 20 years. On the other hand I put a digging tool thru the outer lens on my minlab quattro digital readout window last month, That hurt! But the funny thing is I find more when I ignore the numbers anyway. I own a Deleon and a tiger shark, both great detectors but I would recommend the new outlaw with 3 coils, a real bargain. You can't realize what three coils will do until you have them. Take a look at my post on today's finds posted yesterday " big coil finds little Indian". Big coils cover a lot of ground fast and deep.

thtr12

May 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi
Being in urban apartments with no yard of my own I had to go to parks and schools for hunting.
Only rule I found here was parks and rec dont allow digging on their maintained ball fields.
There is a rather large undeveloped wooded area behind my apt complex but have no permission to hunt there.
Never found any wheaties at a park yet only modern memorial cents. I also have found 1.50 in quarters and a dime.
There are at least 5 or so more parks/schools locally I havent been to yet.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
Being in urban apartments with no yard of my own I had to go to parks and schools for hunting.
Only rule I found here was parks and rec dont allow digging on their maintained ball fields.
There is a rather large undeveloped wooded area behind my apt complex but have no permission to hunt there.
Never found any wheaties at a park yet only modern memorial cents. I also have found 1.50 in quarters and a dime.
I went to a ball park and talked with the grounds keeper and asked if I could detect the areas where the public watch the games. He said go ahead. I have another park where I made friends with a grounds keeper who gave me a clue of where the old house was in the park where I found that Indian penny. Hope you find a place to hunt. I am always looking.

Slowwalker

May 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a soccer field for about an hour and had alot of decent hits. I got my first silver there but I lost it there too:BangHead: It was before I got a pinpointer so I am going to go back because I couldn't find most of the targets but I was searching the ares in between the fields where spectators watch and did come out of there with .75 (pocke spill) and a few memorials. I can't wait to go back... Lots of kids there on a normal basis dropping change and whatever else they have. Good luck with whatever detector you decide on. I went with an X-terra for my first and it does very well. I've hit 8-10 inches with it. but I'm hoping to get a sand shark soon.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to see another Hoosier on here! I'm about 60 miles southeast of you, near Louisville, KY.

I have been hitting the local parks around here and find pretty much the same stuff that you have. I use a ACE 250, and have discovered that when a pull tab is folded over on itself or smashed together, my detector will think that it is a zinc penny. I have also learned how to tell the difference between a copper penny and zinc penny by the way my detector reacts. Nickles are hard to find, as they are in the same range as most trash out there. Most of the nickles that I have fond were actually by accident, while digging another target which happened to be right next to the nickle signal. Some of the parks out here are so full of aluminum tabs from cans that I could literally dig all day and just find those.

Good luck and HH!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one of these days, one of those pull tab signals will turn out to be a gold ring. the park in my town is so littered with tabs that I could literally stay on my knees the entire time. very frustrating.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one of these days, one of those pull tab signals will turn out to be a gold ring. the park in my town is so littered with tabs that I could literally stay on my knees the entire time. very frustrating.
Do you have a small coil? I tried to detect an area that is fenced off as beer garden. The groundskeeper let me in. I found a couple bucks mixed in with all the pull tabs in an hour. I want back in with the small coil after it gets refilled this 4th of july celebration. In another area of the park The grounds keeper pushed back three metal bleachers with the tractor in front of the stage where I quickly picked up 85 cents that hat been too close to the metal.

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better to get use to the sounds. High ptch bell sounds for silver,dimes,quarters,halfs,pennies. Low pitch sounds for nickels,gold,pulltabs. I now have an ace 250 garrett and never dug up a pulltab when it was supose to be a penny! If I get that pulltab sound,it could also will be a nickel or gold,or pulltabs. You also have to look at the image on the ace 250 and it will show that its a pulltab,or show its a nickel.Sounds and images both help me on my digging.

HH

HH

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking for a good pair of pants check on 5.11 tactical they have foam knee pad inserts. Very durable pants and no straps behind the knees.

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like the dependability of analog detectors. My first detector was a Tesoro Inca that I used for 20 years. On the other hand I put a digging tool thru the outer lens on my minlab quattro digital readout window last month, That hurt! But the funny thing is I find more when I ignore the numbers anyway. I own a Deleon and a tiger shark, both great detectors but I would recommend the new outlaw with 3 coils, a real bargain. You can't realize what three coils will do until you have them. Take a look at my post on today's finds posted yesterday " big coil finds little Indian". Big coils cover a lot of ground fast and deep.

That must have been a horrible loss with you Minilab Quattro.:o I seen your post and it is great to find indian heads, I found a wheatie so I'm getting closer. Do the big coils help get deeper results or do smaller coils? I can definitely see where multiple coils could help, just not sure how to pack them all in one go.

I would be interested to hear which would be a better purchase - a smaller coil 4" or so or a larger 10" or bigger? I might be able to get one coil to help with my current MD and if that gives me some more depth I would be extremely happy. :D

Hi

I know what you mean, my backyard isn't much either but thankfully there are about a dozen parks in my area, and half dozen schools. HH

Good to see another Hoosier on here! I'm about 60 miles southeast of you, near Louisville, KY.

I have been hitting the local parks around here and find pretty much the same stuff that you have. I use a ACE 250, and have discovered that when a pull tab is folded over on itself or smashed together, my detector will think that it is a zinc penny. I have also learned how to tell the difference between a copper penny and zinc penny by the way my detector reacts. Nickles are hard to find, as they are in the same range as most trash out there. Most of the nickles that I have fond were actually by accident, while digging another target which happened to be right next to the nickle signal. Some of the parks out here are so full of aluminum tabs from cans that I could literally dig all day and just find those.

Good luck and HH!

Hello glad to see another Hoosier as well, seems there are more than I would have thought. :D Ah, the folded tab could have very well been the problem with the meter. By the time he got it out I was several feet away and he grumbled it was just a pull tab so it was likely folded.

I can only hope, that would put a big smile on my face all day :D There was a area of the park that was absolutely covered in tabs (picnic away) so I dug around the outer edge or it - otherwise I would likely still be digging tabs.

Looking for a good pair of pants check on 5.11 tactical they have foam knee pad inserts. Very durable pants and no straps behind the knees.

Thanks for the tip, I will have to look into that line of clothing. :thumbsup:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quattro now has tape over the hole in the cover, I can use the readout. To use a big coil you can lower the sensitivity if too much trash to take advantage of the coverage. But it is best used in areas with deep targets that are spread out. One problem being two or more objects under the coil effecting the pinpoint. Another problem is the objects size affects the estimated depth more than smaller coils. An 18 inch coil is really for deep caches. I mostly use 8 to 10 inch coils. The size of a coil is ruffley the depth, the concentric's area of influence narrows to a point in the middle at max depth, the best to pinpoint and in heavy trash, but is slow due to overlap of sweep required. DD coils have a long narrow search area but are a little harder to pinpoint, I usually turn 90 degrees, but doesn't work with coin on edge as you loose signal. Then you must use the front of the coil to pinpoint while swinging away from yourself in front of you. The new butterfly coils are supposed to be the best of both worlds combining both types fore a small deep search pattern I want the 6x8 for the Quattro in trash. When you start adding up the cost of additional coils and the shaft to go with them you can see why the outlaw is such a good deal. It is the first new detector by Tesoro in years. You would be a popular guy on Tesoro forum right now if you can get one!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a park 1/4 mile from here,PULLTAB CAN SLAW CITY! I shy away from it!

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the response, it makes sense on the larger coil. Deeper coins, but if two+ targets pinpoint is way off. I found a 10" coil for my MD and may have to see about getting it for larger areas in the future.

For now I found a post about the smaller 4" coil, and for the added results of the smaller coil (less junk, more gold, better signals, etc.) without loosing any depth on coins. So I ordered a 4" gold nugget coil and should have it Tuesday/Wednesday I couldn't wait and got two day shipping on it. :D

Strapped for cash now, so I got the coil to tide me over for awhile. I found Mike from Woodland Detectors and his layaway offer. :notworthy: As I have limited funds, it would take me several months to get a MD paid off to get it - and getting late in the season I will wait and get it later and have it paid in time for next spring. Of course if I get the money to get one sooner I do that instead. :D

I am looking to get a Tesero for sure on my upgrade. If I can talk my wife into thinking the Outlaw MD is a bargain I may convince her to let me get it. :occasion14:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 10.5 coil doesn't have the problem that I have with the 18 inch for pinpointing. It is so darn big that it magnifies my faulty pinpointing. A pro pointer by garret does help and I won't detect without it.

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah, yeah I can imagine the much larger 18" coil would cause more of the issue. Indeed a pinpointer is one handy tool, I never had one yet - still waving the dirt from my hole over my MD coil. My pinpointer will be here Wednesday if not before and I have set out my parts for the mods for it already. :D

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are all set then. Can't wait to see what you can find. Have you had time to research new areas to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions