found gold ring and omg it scared me

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whilst out detecting a local wood chip play area I came found this ring looks like 9ct. The reason it scared me was because I eye balled it lying on top of the wood chips. I ran my detector over the top of it and guess what nothing not even a beep it was as if it wasn't there and yet I was finding coins at good depths. I was running in dual discrimination with zero on setting one and around iron on discrimination two.

Just makes me think what else have I missed in the last years currently saving for a newer machine.

Best wishes double M

Attachments

• ring_800x600.JPG
    ring_800x600.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 3

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is Scary, if your machine is not picking up Gold.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Kevin

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes not sure what the issue is going to get it confirmed it is gold but it has hall marks

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's that new plastic gold!

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent eyeball find for sure :thumbsup: time to lower the discrimination on your detector ;D

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, Congratulation!!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What detector are you using???

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The break in the ring makes it respond much less to your detector. It appears to be rather light also...maybe 2g range?

Light gold like that will hit in the iron range an be discr'med out too...depending on your settings. I'd experiment with that.

Nice eyeball find, anyways! :hello2::hello2::hello2:

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The break in the ring makes it respond much less to your detector. It appears to be rather light also...maybe 2g range?

Light gold like that will hit in the iron range an be discr'med out too...depending on your settings. I'd experiment with that.

well spotted on all three counts thanks everyone for the input

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back, metal mania, Sir! ;)

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find my friend.:thumbsup:

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250

Yep... The cut in the ring will cause a lot of machines out there to miss or sound trashy. Great job on finding this one!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I experimented with a gold hoop earring I recently bought. First checked with the ear post latched, got a gold signal. Then I unhooked the latch and tried again... no signal. Not sure what can be done about it...

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find, but yeah, kinda scary to think what you have walked right past while using those settings.

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
I was going to say the same thing - the fact that the "ring" is broken will greatly diminish the signal. I'm not sure of the exact science behind it, but ring shaped objects tend to give an intensified signal. I've had strong signals that completely changed to lower (more easily discriminated-out) tones after I broke them in the hole with my digger. Also explains why certain washers and those thin copper rings that are prevalent around a lot of older sites in my area give off great tones. As a matter of fact, I got a tiny, ring shaped low conductor today that broke in the hole. It made no signal when I ran it over my coil, with no discrimination. But when I pressed it back together and ran it over, it rang in.

I wouldn't worry about what you may have missed; I bet if you could reconnect the ring it would fall into the acceptable area of your discrimination pattern.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice ring, I lowered my discrimination to below foil and found a nice gold and tiny diamond bracelet that came in at 17 on my fisher F75. Thats a foil reading on it. Makes me wonder what all I missed. GL and HH

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some detectors have ground surface elimination, not sure what kind you're using but this could also be a factor. The Garrett GTI 2500 has this option and you can set it to eliminate the 1st few inches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread