3 different sites later and cw relics to show for all of them! 3 ringer I.D. help?

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off where I work they have been mowing the fields for hay, so I got into one field we haven't really had the chance to do because of the height of the grass. Well I didn't find too much in the short amount of time I hunted it, but I did find a fired 3 ringer with a weird tip. Does anyone have any idea what would have caused it to look that way? Few feet away I found a piece of lead. That day after work I headed over to a farm up the road...I tried in the woods for about an hour and found nuttin' but shotgun shells. I hit the edge of a tree line walking back where they had just mowed one of the fields and found 2 burnsides and a nice roundball(like finding them, don't find many!)

Friday after work my cousin and I hit a spot in Boyce we've been hunting since March. I started out in the side yard up near the house and pulled out less than half of a spur. Wish it was the whole thing...the green patina on it is beautiful. Also found a old iron horse buckle, parts of a fork and an old spencer casing. I headed down to the front field where I had some luck with CW bullets. They cut the grass, but it was still a little too tall to swing the coil that well. Either way I did end up finding a nice pistol bullet, another part of a spur and Virginia bottle cap. lol Overall not bad. The owner of the property got us permission from the neighbor across the street. She has a huge field and we get to hunt it if we mow a 2 acre piece of land for her! So hell yeah! Can't wait to get in there. Thanks for looking and happy hunting guys!

Attachments

• browns8th.jpg
    browns8th.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 101
  • cub scouts.jpg
    cub scouts.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 101
  • burnsround.jpg
    burnsround.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 90
  • odd3ring.jpg
    odd3ring.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 3ringoddity.jpg
    3ringoddity.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Upvote 0

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a lot of fun on friday. That little round piece of copper was nothing i guess the heat got to us and we were seeing things lol. Cant wait to get on the other property! Hope someone can id the bullet on why its shaped like that.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Matt, the bullet has been loaded and that's the ramrod impression. The complete mold impression looks like it was not fired. Many times, the breech plug was removed and the bullet pushed back out the rear of the barrel if the powder was wet to avoid firing and a full barrel cleaning due to black powder residue. Nice finds. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Quindy. As always a big help!

Eagledigs

Feb 17, 2012
Hattiesburg, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Matt, the bullet has been loaded and that's the ramrod impression. The complete mold impression looks like it was not fired. Many times, the breech plug was removed and the bullet pushed back out the rear of the barrel if the powder was wet to avoid firing and a full barrel cleaning due to black powder residue. Nice finds. HH, Quindy.
BINGO!

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. The CW relics have been scattered throughout this property in very concentrated areas. Not many at each area and not much brass. Mainly bullets. The first area I ran upon was the best with 22 dropped bullets and 3 "I" buttons. Hopefully this new field across the way opens up some new doors to more relics and some possible cw silver.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice haul as usual man!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions