CTX Weekend Finds Day 1...really starting to Impress me!

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was this weekend's hunt with the CTX. Hope you enjoy.

Day 1-Saturday 6-9-12

I wanted to see what the CTX would do in cleaning up a yard that I had already hunted with both the E-Trac and the Deus. I went over a grid portion that I had cover with the two other machines. First thing that showed up was an Indian head.
sKGNL.jpg

1900 Indian Head Cent

My next few targets were wheats. I had a grand total of 12 in this yard.. 5 came from a pocket spill.
wicfa.jpg

12 Wheats

Next came my first gold charm. It is labeled on the back of the pin, "Gold Front". Probably nothing real, but coming from a depth of 7 inches it still shined like gold..
AnN1W.jpg

Possibly plated

The next signal was my first silver of the day this 1944 Mercury dime.
CRx5G.jpg

1944 Mercury Dime

Then this tiny silver thimble.
5Gw7N.jpg

Sterling Silver

About 3 inches from it was this toy ring. It has a cowboy hat attached.
MHSpn.jpg

Cowboy Hat Toy Ring

Not sure what this partial find is. It looks like the cupped end of a spoon.
nELd9.jpg

Unknown find- possible spoon?

This buffalo was the deepest coin I have found so far. It was at least 9 inches. It was sort of impressive because it sounded like it was at 5 inches. I may have the volume limit too high. Depth reading showed 8 so I wasn't sure till I got down to it. The Jefferson came shortly after.
hmfyN.jpg

9 inch Buffalo and a Jefferson

I found a third silver with this strangely bent 1925 Mercury dime.. Not sure how it was bent but looks like a mower hit it. Never found one that old hit by a mower, but it was around the 6 inch mark.
chR8W.jpg

Bent Mercury dime

Next was a very deep tiny gold locket. Same size as a dime, and was at 9 inches.. Not really sure how I heard it, but again it gave a strong signal and was actually deeper than my 7-8 inch plug.
TRsmr.jpg

Gold Plated Locket

What I think is the coolest find of the day was this One Drachm 3i apothecary weight. In the days before electronic scales and prepackaged medicines, pharmacists used a balance beam scale to measure the appropriate amount of medicine to a customer. One would put the appropriate weights on one side and then pour the powdered drug on the other until the balance was centered. I had never seen one before or even knew they existed.
2MWOr.jpg

One Drachm 3i Apothecary Weight front same as back

My final target of the day, was also a cool relic. This is my deepest target so far at 11 inches. After researching this piece, I found that it was one side of a brass pocket knife. The other side would have said "The Patriot Shoe".
whdT7.jpg

Star Brand Shoes Are Better

Here are the total finds from day one....
jBprv.jpg

Total Finds Day One
I will be posting Day 2's shortly and the Real Gold show's up...

Hope you enjoy.

Evan

Gonehunting for History

Upvote 2

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the two machines you mentioned are big hitters are they not? If I understand correctly the minelab ctx picked up all these targets where the two previous machines had not?.
What are we to deduce from this.

1.The two previous machines are overpriced average machines.
2.The new minelab ctx is an outstanding machine if expensive .
3.Perhaps your gridding methods where different ?.
4.perhaps ground conditions where unusual?.

What ever the conclusion outstanding finds I personally would welcome your input and conclusions and perhaps a detailed field test best wishes double M

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seams like it's a great machine,but I think I'll wait awhile before jumping in on it.:leprechaun-hat:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
metal mania said:
the two machines you mentioned are big hitters are they not? If I understand correctly the minelab ctx picked up all these targets where the two previous machines had not?.

1.The two previous machines are overpriced average machines.
2.The new minelab ctx is an outstanding machine if expensive .
3.Perhaps your gridding methods where different ?.
4.perhaps ground conditions where unusual?.

What ever the conclusion outstanding finds I personally would welcome your input and conclusions and perhaps a detailed field test best wishes double M

Also could be that the coils of the other detectors never went over the posters finds.

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

1.The two previous machines are overpriced average machines. I think the Other machines are great. Both have great qualities for sure... each is definitely no slouch. I like them both... I just think the CTX is a little more accurate.
2.The new minelab ctx is an outstanding machine if expensive . I couldn't agree more.. At first I was struggling with it.. but with some help from a CTX Tester, that all changed dramatically
3.Perhaps your gridding methods where different ?. I grided the same. Started east to west at the sidewalk and moved south to a certain tree. Gridded around the tree, then moved on... I pretty much grid the same way every time I hit a yard.. east to west then when finished north to south. I try to hit the ground from two opposite directions..
4.perhaps ground conditions where unusual?. Ground was moist like the beginning of spring. I try not to hunt the manicured yards unless the ground is moist or prior to spring growth..

I did a test when I first started with the new settings.. I hit a new yard and looked for iffy signals.. when I say iffy, I could only get the target to sound good on one side. ie good sound-target-bad, and I would go a comeplete 360 around the target, and if it I continued to only get an iffy, I would dig. I dug a total of 32 targets and 0 were good. Mostly were large rusty nails, I noticed that 90% of the iffy tones were from conductive high 30's and up. I did not get any "iffy targets from 38 and down.. May be because of the iron wrap around or falsing. If it was 38 and below it was what the machine was saying it was, ie wheat, pulltabs, nickels.. I have noticed, if the target will not sound off on both sides it hasn't been good.. I dug larger than average plugs and pulled every piece of metal out of each to make sure I wasn't missing anything.. this was my observation.. I may have been in err, but since the change in mode and modifying and digging the more solid signals, my trash count went to almost zero(pieces of metal siding is the most common).
Hope this helps

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definately gives you something to think about! Great finds anyway you go about it!

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread