Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gonehunting

Thread: CTX Weekend Finds Day 1...really starting to Impress me!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    28+ years in this addicting hobby.

Jan 2007
    Oklahoma
    Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250, ExcaliburII, Tesoro Vaquero, Whites Coinmaster, Tesoro Stingray, Compass Bobcat, Garr
    88 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

CTX Weekend Finds Day 1...really starting to Impress me!

This was this weekend's hunt with the CTX. Hope you enjoy.

Day 1-Saturday 6-9-12

I wanted to see what the CTX would do in cleaning up a yard that I had already hunted with both the E-Trac and the Deus. I went over a grid portion that I had cover with the two other machines. First thing that showed up was an Indian head.

1900 Indian Head Cent

My next few targets were wheats. I had a grand total of 12 in this yard.. 5 came from a pocket spill.

12 Wheats

Next came my first gold charm. It is labeled on the back of the pin, "Gold Front". Probably nothing real, but coming from a depth of 7 inches it still shined like gold..

Possibly plated

The next signal was my first silver of the day this 1944 Mercury dime.

1944 Mercury Dime

Then this tiny silver thimble.

Sterling Silver

About 3 inches from it was this toy ring. It has a cowboy hat attached.

Cowboy Hat Toy Ring

Not sure what this partial find is. It looks like the cupped end of a spoon.

Unknown find- possible spoon?

This buffalo was the deepest coin I have found so far. It was at least 9 inches. It was sort of impressive because it sounded like it was at 5 inches. I may have the volume limit too high. Depth reading showed 8 so I wasn't sure till I got down to it. The Jefferson came shortly after.

9 inch Buffalo and a Jefferson

I found a third silver with this strangely bent 1925 Mercury dime.. Not sure how it was bent but looks like a mower hit it. Never found one that old hit by a mower, but it was around the 6 inch mark.

Bent Mercury dime

Next was a very deep tiny gold locket. Same size as a dime, and was at 9 inches.. Not really sure how I heard it, but again it gave a strong signal and was actually deeper than my 7-8 inch plug.

Gold Plated Locket

What I think is the coolest find of the day was this One Drachm 3i apothecary weight. In the days before electronic scales and prepackaged medicines, pharmacists used a balance beam scale to measure the appropriate amount of medicine to a customer. One would put the appropriate weights on one side and then pour the powdered drug on the other until the balance was centered. I had never seen one before or even knew they existed.

One Drachm 3i Apothecary Weight front same as back

My final target of the day, was also a cool relic. This is my deepest target so far at 11 inches. After researching this piece, I found that it was one side of a brass pocket knife. The other side would have said "The Patriot Shoe".

Star Brand Shoes Are Better

Here are the total finds from day one....

Total Finds Day One
    I will be posting Day 2's shortly and the Real Gold show's up...

Hope you enjoy.

Evan

Gonehunting for History

Charter Member
    gb
    Jul 2009
    47 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    the two machines you mentioned are big hitters are they not? If I understand correctly the minelab ctx picked up all these targets where the two previous machines had not?.
    What are we to deduce from this.

1.The two previous machines are overpriced average machines.
    2.The new minelab ctx is an outstanding machine if expensive .
    3.Perhaps your gridding methods where different ?.
    4.perhaps ground conditions where unusual?.

What ever the conclusion outstanding finds I personally would welcome your input and conclusions and perhaps a detailed field test best wishes double M

Apr 2012
    4 times
    What you said it is very interesting.
    I heart which I could not help him

us
    Feb 2012
    CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
    556 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Seams like it's a great machine,but I think I'll wait awhile before jumping in on it.

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by metal mania
    the two machines you mentioned are big hitters are they not? If I understand correctly the minelab ctx picked up all these targets where the two previous machines had not?.

1.The two previous machines are overpriced average machines.
    2.The new minelab ctx is an outstanding machine if expensive .
    3.Perhaps your gridding methods where different ?.
    4.perhaps ground conditions where unusual?.

What ever the conclusion outstanding finds I personally would welcome your input and conclusions and perhaps a detailed field test best wishes double M

Also could be that the coils of the other detectors never went over the posters finds.

us

Jan 2007
    Oklahoma
    Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250, ExcaliburII, Tesoro Vaquero, Whites Coinmaster, Tesoro Stingray, Compass Bobcat, Garr
    88 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by metal mania View Post

1.The two previous machines are overpriced average machines. I think the Other machines are great. Both have great qualities for sure... each is definitely no slouch. I like them both... I just think the CTX is a little more accurate.
    2.The new minelab ctx is an outstanding machine if expensive . I couldn't agree more.. At first I was struggling with it.. but with some help from a CTX Tester, that all changed dramatically
    3.Perhaps your gridding methods where different ?. I grided the same. Started east to west at the sidewalk and moved south to a certain tree. Gridded around the tree, then moved on... I pretty much grid the same way every time I hit a yard.. east to west then when finished north to south. I try to hit the ground from two opposite directions..
    4.perhaps ground conditions where unusual?. Ground was moist like the beginning of spring. I try not to hunt the manicured yards unless the ground is moist or prior to spring growth..

I did a test when I first started with the new settings.. I hit a new yard and looked for iffy signals.. when I say iffy, I could only get the target to sound good on one side. ie good sound-target-bad, and I would go a comeplete 360 around the target, and if it I continued to only get an iffy, I would dig. I dug a total of 32 targets and 0 were good. Mostly were large rusty nails, I noticed that 90% of the iffy tones were from conductive high 30's and up. I did not get any "iffy targets from 38 and down.. May be because of the iron wrap around or falsing. If it was 38 and below it was what the machine was saying it was, ie wheat, pulltabs, nickels.. I have noticed, if the target will not sound off on both sides it hasn't been good.. I dug larger than average plugs and pulled every piece of metal out of each to make sure I wasn't missing anything.. this was my observation.. I may have been in err, but since the change in mode and modifying and digging the more solid signals, my trash count went to almost zero(pieces of metal siding is the most common).
    Hope this helps

us
    Jun 2007
    Southwest Michigan
    Made in U.S.A.
    225 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Awesome bunch of finds you got there

us
    May 2010
    Claremore OK
    White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
    150 times
    Nice finds and info...
    God Bless...

us
    Relic Hunter & Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2SE, Fisher 1266X, Garrett Propointer
    301 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Nice!
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    MXT
    84 times
    Definately gives you something to think about! Great finds anyway you go about it!

us

Jan 2007
    Oklahoma
    88 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Thanks guys!

us
    real pirate

May 2011
    NE Ohio
    Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
    191 times

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New