Hey Danimal-When is a Walker Half NOT a Walker Half?

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
I mentioned this 1940 Walker Half in an earlier post. I was hunting a vacant lot that produced a few Wheaties, a 1954 silver Rosie and a cool whatsit.

The half came from one of the corners of the lot, in what must have been the guys favorite rubbish burning spot. I can only assume that this guy hated MD'ers.

An interesting side note to this story. I was hunting the site two days ago when a car pulled up and to ladies came out to ask if I'd found anything interesting. Turns out that one of them lived there from 1945-1955 and had tears in her eyes as she talked about the grandmother and grandfather that raised her. She was really heartbroken that the old house (built in 1920) had been torn down.

A couple of days prior, I'd found an old tin Olive Oyl ring that I think was a 1950-ish Crackerjack prize. I dug it right next to what she told me used to be the front porch. She lives in my town, so earlier today I sent it to her by mail. Hope it sparks some good memories for her and convinces her that MD'ers are pretty good folks.

Anyway, what do you think of my one and only Walker. If this isn't the very definition of "mixed blessing", I don't know what is.

Happy hunting all.

MP

Attachments

• 1940 Walker 002.jpg
    1940 Walker 002.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 627
Upvote 0

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
awww i want to cry :'( i love walker halfs.....that would have been a sweet coin...

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Nice readable date! I found 1876 seated half in similar condition....Joe

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy that stinks. That would have frustrated the heck out me if I had found it.
Nice grab just for silver content and conversation piece.
TFTP
Johnny

johnrielly

Jun 14, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still worth silver scrap though...........12$ ounce and rising... ;D

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story and good deed, let us know if you get a thank you back! That Walker is still worth its weight in silver, nice finds! HH, Mike

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Cool find, I think when you find a coin in that condition it is considerd a relic. Neat idea sending that lady something from the site,could lead to more places to hunt,really have to try and pick their brains whenever you get a chance.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats a shame about the walker. still a nice thing to find though. nice job on the ring. ;)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think that looks pretty Fing cool!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...it's silver.... :( :( :(

HH
-GC

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
A friend of mine once found a walker that was cut in 3. He found all three pieces. They were not straight cuts either. Still a nice find.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Holy CRAP that sucker had seen some heat!...still a real cool find!

I am sure it's silver content hasn't changed much!! I would try and polish it (jk)

great job!!

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling. There is a ghost town here that I have hunted a few times until I found silver there. The soil is so bad that I thought I had found a large cent but it was a seated half. I managed to get the date off of it but it is real bad. By the way it was a 1871.

Bummer man. :'(

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
Hey count your blessings You found a Walker! Lots of us haven't! Gives the coin that character and story behind it! Good Conversation piece!
And you are a good guy for sending that ring off. Nice job! Good Karma will give you your just rewards!

HH

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Bounty Hunter 3300 w/4" coil
I think that will buff right out. Seriously, that is a more interesting then an undamaged coin. I bet after you have found other walkers you will look back more positively on this one. And, thank you for representing us Hunters in such a good light. chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions