bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its been an interesting couple of weeks. My wife and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary by staying at a historical bed and breakfast in Gettysburg, PA. During our stay we took a guided trail ride on horses through the battlefield which was incredible. We had little headsets on and listened as our guide gave us a play by play of the battle as we came across different areas. It really made it come alive. I got my civil war fix while the wife got her horse fix. Win win.
The relic shops are incredible in this town. If you get a chance to visit there and only have enough time to visit one relic shop, make it The Horse Soldier. This shop has the most amazing collection of civil war artifacts, dug and non dug, that you could imagine. Everything is for sale including a $95,000 sword and a $175,000 pistol. They have a website with full inventory listed. Check it out, its amazing.

I got back to my cavalry camp yesterday and pulled out a few goodies. It started out with massive rain in the morning, but I didn't care because I started in the river and was already wet. I pounded a fjord where troops crossed but only came up with a brass ring that isn't even period. I guess others have pounded this area as well. After about three hours in the river I decided to make my way to the camp. The sun came out for awhile and brought with it massive humidity and mosquito swarms from hell. I literally felt like a living faucet with the amount of sweat coming off of me. I guess I sweated off all of my deep woods off because the mosquito vermin were like no other. Never again will I hike any distance from my vehicle without taking the off with me. I managed to endure the little spawns of Satan long enough to pull out a few goodies and firsts for me. I managed a picket pin which I understand to be of confederate make, but it was in a Union camp. Seeing as how both sides used each others equipment all throughout the war, this doesn't surprise me. It's in excellent shape and the ring is nice and free. It should clean up nicely when I treat it. I also found part of a watering bit, a pocket knife, a perfect sword hanger 11 inches down, another nice Spencer sans casing, a rivet, and a smaller pistol bullet. I also found two percussion caps in one hole but I forgot to take pics of those.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I also found ten dropped Sharps carbine rounds in one hole about 12 feet from where I found the picket pin. Four of them are in near perfect condition. Also, the small mill stone I found at a different location a couple of weeks ago.

By the way, anyone know what type of cannons those are? There were only those two there during the whole battle of Gettysburg with hundreds of the other types. It took me all day to find where they were. Hint--I believe longest distance shooter in the war.

Attachments

• Sharps day.........jpg
    Sharps day.........jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Sharps day.............jpg
    Sharps day.............jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Sharps day..............jpg
    Sharps day..............jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Sharps day............jpg
    Sharps day............jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Sharps day........jpg
    Sharps day........jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Sharps day.......jpg
    Sharps day.......jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Sharps day......jpg
    Sharps day......jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Sharps day.....jpg
    Sharps day.....jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Sharps day....jpg
    Sharps day....jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Sharps day...jpg
    Sharps day...jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Sharps day..jpg
    Sharps day..jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Sharps day...........jpg
    Sharps day...........jpg
    46 KB · Views: 159
  • Sharps day..........jpg
    Sharps day..........jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Sharps day.jpg
    Sharps day.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Upvote 1

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
That really sounds like a heck of a good time:occasion14:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and photos Bearbqd

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those appear to be the two breechloading Whitworths on Oak Hill near the Peace Light Memorial. They were imported from England by the Confederacy.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those appear to be the two breechloading Whitworths on Oak Hill near the Peace Light Memorial. They were imported from England by the Confederacy.
Ding ding ding, you know your artillery my man.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's actually Gettysburg I know pretty well, I just love the place!

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro & Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time you are in the area please let me know ahead of time I live just down the road from G-burg. I could take you to a few spots that produce fine relics every trip. The wife and I will be in G-burg Friday night for date night.

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time you are in the area please let me know ahead of time I live just down the road from G-burg. I could take you to a few spots that produce fine relics every trip. The wife and I will be in G-burg Friday night for date night.
Wow, that sounds great. I might just do that. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions