UPDATE: RARE vest size Confederate General Staff button with 13 stars found..........

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wanted to pass on this additional information I just learned about the button I dug in South Eastern Virginia a little over 3 weeks ago. When I dug this button I knew I had a tight button because of its size and extremely high dome. It wasn't until I got home and started cleaning it that I realized I had a Confederate General Staff button. I have been searching since I was a teenager for one and now can finally cross it off my list. Only took 25 years to find it! And now I've been told this little vest button is extremely rare! Albert did not list it in his book but Tice has it listed as CS269As1-1. The button has a wide border displaying the eagle with droop wings on a lined field surrounded by 13 stars, 2 of which are below the eagle. The back is blank with full standout shank, 16mm in diameter, extremely high dome. It was found in an area where just days before I had dug a Mississippi I coat, a local Virginia coat, and a Virginia cuff. Numerous Gardners and Georgia teat bullets were found around it as well as musket balls. From what I've been told these staff buttons with 13 stars surrounding the eagle were given to the Confederate Staff officers of Cobb's Legion from the state of Georgia. Colonel Cobb (later promoted to brigadier general in Fall of1862) was in my area during the Peninsula campaign (1861-1862). The very few specimens that have been found have been predominantly coat size buttons - the 16mm vest (tunic) size button I recovered is much, much rarer. The Picket Post offered a coat specimen for sale a little over a year ago that was dug in Fredericksburg in the early 70's and stated less than 3 dug coat specimens were known. I've been told by many long time relic hunters this is the first of this size they have ever seen (other than the specimen shown in Tice's book)! Tice states he is only aware of 1 non-dug coat size specimen. I feel blessed to have been able to find this button and preserve it for many others to see! This is by far the best button I have dug in a very long time!!! Devonrex

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet button, congratulations on a great find.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful button! Looks like you might be in a CS spot, just kidding. That's some nice lead too! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread