A stamped Seated Dime, Tokens & Etc

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a few goodies this past week. There are couple of bullets and an ornate sterling silver ball off of a hat pin (unfortunately minus the pin) which are from a couple of different hunts at a local park. And then there's one of my favorite ever tokens, a square token stamped F. Kippinberg "Good for 1 Loaf of Bread". That sucker was so heavily crusted when I found it that it was well over 1/8 of an inch thick before I started the cleaning process. It and the other two tokens are from a local sidewalk tearout. The other 2 tokens are Good for 5Cents in Trade on one side and L.P.R. Des Moines IA on the other. Those 2 and one other from Oskaloosa (still soaking in oil, it's in rough condition!) were in one hole between a couple of very large rocks in front of a building beside the sidewalk tear out. Today I found my first holed coin and was dismayed to discover that it was very deeply stamped with 212, or maybe it's a 2i2 (looks more like an i with the Liberty's head as the dot), and has the hole right through the date! GAH! My first seated dime and it's all but destroyed by intention. A real shame too because the coin was in very good condition before it was defaced. I can still make out the liberty in the shield. From what I've read I can figure this is a pre-1860 seated because of the 13 stars on front, and the date was the small numbers variety. Last number is an 8 or 3. Sure wish that I at least knew the story behind 212. The other neat little find from today's search was a little button that is almost like a pop-out. It appears to be a queen's head surrounded by a large collar. The nose and other facial features are smashed in unfortunately. Ah well. I'm going to do some research and see if I can find a picture of another like it.
HH to all!!

Attachments

• 612finds2.jpg
    612finds2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 612finds3.jpg
    612finds3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 612finds4.jpg
    612finds4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0
OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that I remember seeing someone post a seated dime quite a while ago that had a similar stamping in it with the liberty's head making the dot over an i. Does anyone remember that or have any ideas as to purpose? Thanks.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
After seeing what it looked like when you dug it this afternoon, i cant believe that was a silver. Did you get the bullet today too? You definately chose the right side to start on, because i sure got skunked on my end.......lol.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button is Egyptian revival, probably 1920-30s - its the head of a Pharaoh.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice bunch of keepers! Cool stamped seated coin!

TommNJ

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting dime. love those tokens too :icon_thumleft:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Seated has way more personality the way it is, than just being another Seated being dug. I promise you, if you keep at it, you'll be digging plenty of them.
Plus you dug three killer tokens, the square bread one looks to be the older of the three.
Kudos!
Carl

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
You got some killer finds there. A stamped and holed seated. That's too cool.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That seated is a cool find, but I would have been disappointed if it was my first and it was stamped like that, but I guess a stamped seated is better then no seated, that coin is at the top of my list right now so Congrats on some nice finds like the bread token. Good luck and Good hunting....

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
How about posting close-ups of both sides of the F. Kippenberg token on Richard's Token Database - TokenCatalog.com It will take a bit of research to positively attribute it, but from what I can see so far, it probably was from Frederick August Kippenberg who seemed to have been in several businesses: 1891- 95 St. Louis City Directories lists him as a grocer, 1900 Census shows him as a Liquor Merchant in Saint Mary, MO, and the 1910 Census shows him as an Ice Merchant, still in Saint Mary. He was born 1 Oct 1844 in Hannover, Germany, came to the USA in 1865, and died 7 May 1915 in Saint Mary. Of course, I may be way off - did you find it anywhere close to Saint Mary? That is in Ste. Genevieve County, just south of St. Louis.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about posting close-ups of both sides of the F. Kippenberg token on Richard's Token Database - TokenCatalog.com It will take a bit of research to positively attribute it, but from what I can see so far, it probably was from Frederick August Kippenberg who seemed to have been in several businesses: 1891- 95 St. Louis City Directories lists him as a grocer, 1900 Census shows him as a Liquor Merchant in Saint Mary, MO, and the 1910 Census shows him as an Ice Merchant, still in Saint Mary. He was born 1 Oct 1844 in Hannover, Germany, came to the USA in 1865, and died 7 May 1915 in Saint Mary. Of course, I may be way off - did you find it anywhere close to Saint Mary? That is in Ste. Genevieve County, just south of St. Louis.

John in the Great 208

Hey, thanks for the info on the Kippenberg token! I hadn't had time to research it yet due to the father's day weekend. We're down river slightly from Ste. Genevieve County, about 45 to an hour minutes by car....a day or so by horse...but we're also on the Mississippi and the rail so back then there was a lot of traffic on steamboat and the railroad. I was thinking that Mr. Kippenberg was local but it's quite possible that the token traveled a bit down river. The spot that I found that token was directly across the street from where I found the 3 Iowa tokens and in a section of town that would have been a main shopping area back then with lots of foot traffic. So far, though, between I and 2 other detectorists there have only been the one stamped silver dime that I found, a large cent found by another who also found an Indian head penny, assorted tokens, and modern coinage. I have also found a few Civil War era relics as they've worked up the street tearing out sidewalks but they are few and far in between. I think a lot of the good coinage was lost back in around 1960-70 when the city first re-did the sidewalks. They excavated about 10 to 12 inches and filled with cinders and rock before repaving. I'll post pictures of the tokens to Richard's when I get the Oskaloosa token cleaned up. Both of my IA tokens are listed on his database but no pictures are listed yet.
Anyone have any theories on the 212 or 2i2 stamped into the dime?
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread