DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe how I missed this over the last years!
I returned to a pasture field which had already given me a few Roman coins, 2 Roman brooches and a Charles I shilling in the past. The farmer had ploughed, re-seeded it and it was now cut short again.
Concentrating on the area where the brooches had come from; hoping for more Roman finds, found this 5 - 6" below the surface. Saw the gleaming gold and thought 'Oh no, another bottle top come out with the muck'.... had a closer look: Wow, a William III Gold Guinea. 1698, 8.6g of 22ct gold.... Lovely :D

Gold-Guinea-WilliamIII-1698.jpg

The portrait in almost perfect condition, just slightly worn on the back, its a beauty - More than a month's wages for a farm labourer in the years it was lost so someone would have been in trouble when they got home.
Didn't find much else that afternoon but looking forward to the other fields being ploughed and re-set in years to come.
All the best,
x

Upvote 6

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find David!! A pre-1800 gold coin has always been #1 on my most wanted list, and your find gives me some hope and inspiration that it can actually happen. Great going!!

I have never heard of, read of, seen a William III Guinea dug EVER, factor in the better than average condition, & the number of votes, I don't get why the banner is broke:icon_scratch:

EVERYONE:
If you haven't voted, you need to, because if you get one of these, I know you would think all your X-mas's had come at once. Dad & I have had 18 Gold Coins, many of mine are on the banner, but only 1 of them comes close to the value of this one & when I say close I mean £1000 (so not very).
This is one I would be very happy to put in the collection, but probably couldn't afford to give the owner money to keep (A mixed blessing).

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yippee! :hello2: Its up top! Will do my best to find another before the year's out! Thanks all that voted 'banner' - speak soon, sun shining here, lot of the silage fields around here being cut! must get out..... x

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations mate, excellent find. Hutch.

Mud

Dec 28, 2008
Buford, Ga
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac, Fisher f5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin, congrats

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fantastic find--nicely done!

All the best,

Lanny

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe