Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea.................but it sure beats a handful of clad :D :D :D!

Nice job, hope someone can ID your find.

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
Thanks. Iv only been detecting for a week, I rented a detector to find my property markers and ended up finding a copper knife. Needless to say I went out and bought a detector (Whites Prizm II) and have been finding stuff every day.
Heres a pic of the copper knife.

Attachments

• cuknife.jpg
    cuknife.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 791

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
clean it up a bit with some naval jelly, wash off rust, and throw it in an electrolysis machine. There are prob markings on it somewhere to help you ID it :) Cool find!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd wish you good luck on your next outing, but hey, you already have GREAT luck!!! 8)

AWESOME FINDS!!!!! :o

Congrats! Nana :)

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer XS and X-Terra 50
I don't know anything about bayonets Johny but I know thats a killer find W.T.G.

OP
OP
Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
I tracked down an old road from the 1840s that ran along a river near my house. It was around 5 inches down. I also found some kind of threaded spike, a square nail, and what looks like part of a wagon in the same area. Couldn't dig every hit I got but I think theres a lot more to be found there.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Good luck on the rest of your digs at that sight. I hope this fortune of a great find is a sign of many more great finds at that site for you.

Rev

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Johnny, to the forum and congrats on your finds. I can't help with the ID, but there are a lot of smart people on this forum who may be able to help you. It looks like you're off to a good start. Keep us posted on your finds for that hunt site. Good Luck and HH !

Huntin' 59er

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny..welcome to the forum and to a great hobby!!!!!! Nice find!!! Whats the base of the handle look like? Is there a loop that would fit over the muzzle of a rifle to hold or lock the bayonet in place?

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
MaineDigger is right, did you find anything that would allow you to attach it to a rifle? or did you find parts of a handle with it? A lot of Bayonets have a loop that allows it to attach to the rifle they are "more" common. The ones that have handles are "less" common. I believe if you found other hardware around from a wagon, they might have been passing thru and it could have come from any era. I do know its one that also was used as a hand fighting weapon ( Saber/Bayonet) leading me to believe its from a later period than the Revolutionary war and possibly later than the Civil War. Its not an Enfield (from the British, length is wrong) Civil war era and its not a Boyle, Gamble & MacFee (Confederate Army, would have a slight curve and longer in length). Look more in the spot that you found it, there might be clues.. Good Find!!

HH

J.J.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey bravo
a guy here in illinois found some cooper age tools here
illinoisdoug
he got himself a nice little bit o money for them
dont clean the copper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
ummm...i dunno...doesn't look like any bayonet I've ever seen eather...more like a small sword, maybe a long dagger blade, IF it's military that is...

neil

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
It may be a bayonet that has been rehilted.

The shape of the blade is similiar to many of the socket type bayonets used on muzzle loading rifles.Some of the European countries cut the sockets from obsolete bayonets,added a hilt and used them on cartridge type rifles.

Although slightly long for the application,it may be a dagger.

hasbeen

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Cool dig and welcome to the forums....I look forward to seeing what else you find in that area!
~Nashoba~

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the hobby and the forum, great to have you on-board. I also do not think it is a bayonet, but probably a short sword. I love the copper knive,,,, looks to be pretty old ::)

God bless
Peter

S

stefen

Johnny,

Look at: id help for knife blade goldther under EVERYTHING ELSE

Your copper knife is identified....looks the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread