Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would personally say a fisher f2. My cousin had a 250 for a while and I had a fisher. I always found better stuff. My opinion... both are decent detectors though starting out.

m.langlois

Oct 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first was an ace 350 - it was a great detector for the price and perfect to get into the hobby. I've never used the Fisher.
Either way, good luck and happy hunting.

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If this is your first detector.......any of the top Name Brands, "turn on & Go" in the $200 to $300 price machines are good........I have found over 200,000 coins in the last 41 years, and have never paid over $500 for any New detector, and have used several different brands.......I like the Whites, and am currently using the CoinMaster Pro, the last 4 weeks. The last 12 months I have found 10,741 coins.......I LOVE this hobby!!.......

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a look at the Teknetics Delta 4000. I just got one about 3 weeks ago and it's a very good machine for the price. So far I have found over $10.00 in clad, 4 wheat pennies, and 3 very old 16 gauge shotgun shells. They are Western Xpert Paper Shells, Circa 1944 to 1954. So far I haven't found anything that great but I am killing the clad.
[h=1][/h]

milk86

Jun 6, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
In my opinion if you want to coin shoot go with the fisher or Tekneticks. (made by the same people) Garrett's are geared for more of the relic type of hunting.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a ACE 250 for my first detector this year. It does a great job of finding coins, and I can get a little over 8" so far with the stock coil.

As with any detector, once you really learn how to use it you will start finding the good stuff. Every time I take my 250 out, I learn something new, and keep find more and better stuff. I've found some jewelry, cool relics, a silver ring, and many, many pull tabs / bottle caps.

Here is the pile of clad coins and pennies that I have found so far this year with my ACE 250. Next year I will probably upgrade to something better, but will definitely hang on to my 250, a great machine.

2012-06-16 12.12.25.jpg

cmalo1985

Dec 26, 2011
centereach, long island
Detector(s) used
garretts ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey i got an ace 250 for christmas its my first metal detector i ever had and i think it works great the pinpoint gives sum problems but once u figure it out its great. i love the machine ive found $10.00 in clad and a silver ladies chain. i personally love the garrett ace 250. so i think its a great detectorist since im a beginner as well lol. but mind you i have never used any other machine so just given my 2 cents lol.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i like the 250, but the dam "belltone" drives me nuts! it works very well though. i have found some great stuff and like others said, i learn new stuff every time i take it out

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Read the reviews online and also read the brand specific forums and see what people who are using them are saying about them. You will hear the good and the bad on these forums. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either of them and I've used both. Hope it helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread