1808 Tavern site gives up Spanish silver

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
Today started off a bit cold. with temps in the 20s. after a meeting of the Rochester club, Johnand I decided to hunt a few areas around Southern Wyoming county.

We decided to start at a recently cut corn field that had a hotel on it in the early 1800s. after locating the owner I went to ask permission. It was the closest Ive come to a rejection yet. He has a friend that detects who wanted to come over and hit the field. but he hadn't showed yet so he let us hunt the front half of the field. after about 2 hours we were wondering whether the hotel was there at all. The only thing we found was a memorial cent.

next we went to get permission to hunt a large potato field near by but the owner wasn't home.

it was getting close to 2:30 so we decided to hit one more place . an old tavern site that we've hunted several times before. this site has given up several draped bust large cents and buttons and has been hit pretty hard. after about 2 hours in the freezing wind with very few signals I finally got a decent signal. with the first shovel out pops this little baby. It is my second half real and by far the better shape. Its a good thing John was there to take the pics. maybe next time will be his turn.

Tim

Attachments

• P9060114 Large Web view.jpg
    P9060114 Large Web view.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 3,130
  • P9060116 Large Web view.jpg
    P9060116 Large Web view.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3,115
  • P9060117 Large Web view.jpg
    P9060117 Large Web view.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,101
Upvote 0

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Excellent find Tim! That tavern site keeps giving it up.What a great way to end the long cold day.Loved the on site pics.Hope you can stretch your season a little longer before the snow and cold is hear to stay. Best of luck and HH!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig This said:
Excellent find Tim, hopefully next weekend will be nice and i will go. Detector still down but have Johns. Congrads

Hey Jeff........I'm sorry you couldn't make it out detecting this weekend with all that work. But on the bright side.......the weather next week is looking pretty good , Temp up in the upper 50's ! :) :) :) So for a small rental fee of 25% off one of those 60 inch Z- Riders I will let you use my XLT.....While yours is getting fixed! lololo hahahahah .......Plus here is a pic of the site......You can go there if you would like! lol

P9060113 Large Web view.jpg

Tim Sure did find a nice piece of Spanish Silver.......And Only kidding about the rental Fee!!!

talk later The Seeker

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds the both of you ;) Umm but it looks like it is very cold.... Im sitting here with my shirt off cooking, but that is SA for you ;D

God bless
Peter

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Geez John....Seems like all that digging would have you pretty sore this morning!
Timmy only had to dig an inch for that great coin! :)

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love the pics..

Congrats on the great digs..

WOW what a beauty.....

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Whoa that is one awesome find. And not one I would expect to find, thats for sure. I have been hunting in this cold weather and did ok so far. But that is one smokin!! coin. I am glad that you got rewarded for your cold hunt.

Congratulations,

Postalrevnant

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timmy, spanish silver is always nice to find and makes a hunt a great day without a doubt!

HH

Don in SJ

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just too good!! Congrats!

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
she's a reale beauty Tim congrats and to seekers pic's that looks to be the top off a medicine bottle congrats again and good luck to the both of you

dylan

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double WOW! :o I'm glad he had the camera too! Love to see those pics!!!!

Congrats!!!!! Nana :)

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, it's been a while since I've had the pleasure of digging a half-real. Thanks for the "action shot", too... it brings back fond memories, and silver dreams.

Stay warm- I hope y'all don't get totally frozen up there in Yankeeland. I can still hunt in short sleeves here but there have been a few cool nights. Haven't gotten our first frost yet. Funny, we've had glorious weather and yet I have not swung the coil for a month. I need to do that.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Real nice Reale Tim.

That one held up really well. Probably lost in the 1700's.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions