1808 Tavern site gives up Spanish silver

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
Today started off a bit cold. with temps in the 20s. after a meeting of the Rochester club, Johnand I decided to hunt a few areas around Southern Wyoming county.

We decided to start at a recently cut corn field that had a hotel on it in the early 1800s. after locating the owner I went to ask permission. It was the closest Ive come to a rejection yet. He has a friend that detects who wanted to come over and hit the field. but he hadn't showed yet so he let us hunt the front half of the field. after about 2 hours we were wondering whether the hotel was there at all. The only thing we found was a memorial cent.

next we went to get permission to hunt a large potato field near by but the owner wasn't home.

it was getting close to 2:30 so we decided to hit one more place . an old tavern site that we've hunted several times before. this site has given up several draped bust large cents and buttons and has been hit pretty hard. after about 2 hours in the freezing wind with very few signals I finally got a decent signal. with the first shovel out pops this little baby. It is my second half real and by far the better shape. Its a good thing John was there to take the pics. maybe next time will be his turn.

Tim

Attachments

• P9060114 Large Web view.jpg
    P9060114 Large Web view.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 3,130
  • P9060116 Large Web view.jpg
    P9060116 Large Web view.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3,115
  • P9060117 Large Web view.jpg
    P9060117 Large Web view.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,101
Upvote 0

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer
That's one of the first time's i've ever seen a action photo with a reale. Thank you for the pics man and congrats, what a great shape ancient coin!!

D

doyboy

Be specific, Tim, how many Draped did you find there? I love those 1700 tavern sites!

ashdigger

May 29, 2005
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Man I have found two like that, it sure gives a guy a rush, just think how long it waited for you to dig it up, Great Job..

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
There you go. I love those old reales.

Gotta place or two to hit like that as soon as they plow under the corn stalks.

Burt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread