My Best Find Yet, In My Opinion Anyway...

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While detecting under a bush near the back fence of my grandmother's backyard today I came across two really cool finds (in my opinion anyway) that were right next to each other.

The first one was a piece of powerline form off of the transformer directly overhead. What is cool about this find is the story that it holds. About 3 or 4 years ago a squerill chewed through the grounding wire which in tern fried all but 3 electronic devices in my Grandmothers house, the damage was significant and it almost set the house on fire. The wire that I found was cut by what looks like standard wire cutters on one end, but the other end is covered in what looks like chewing marks, my guess is that this is the part of the wire that the dang animal bit through killing itself and almost everything in their house.

The other discovery that I made right next to this one is my favorite find thus far. After I dug up the grounding wire I was going after another strong signal right next to the hole i had already dug. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a scaly tail about 6-8 inches long. Given that there are a lot of snakes in this area, some of which venomous, I should have been careful, however being the curious animal enthusiest that I am I poked it a couple of times to see if it would show itself. After about 3 or 4 pokes it still remained motionless. At that point I decided that it must be dead and tried to pull it out of the brush that it was sprouting out from. Upon tugging lightly on it the end came off and started thrashing around as the last of the electrical impulses that were in it were used up. That was when I realized it wasn't a snake (snake tails don't detach) and that it wasn't dead. Since at that point I realized that it wasn't venomous I reached in and pulled out a 8 inch young alligator lizard (5 years ago we released a mature alligator lizard that we had caught and kept as a pet for 2 years in my Grandmother's backyard, and given that they are not indigenous to that immediate area I'm assuming it is a descendent of the one we released years ago). Unlike all of the other lizards that me and my brother had caught over the years this one didn't try to escape from my hand but instead stretched out and made itself comfortable in my palm. We hung on to it for 30 or so minutes petting it and rubbing its chin (it seems to really like it) I let it go where I found it after we named him Junior. He didn't want to get off of my hand, I had to nudge him off, I miss him already...

pic1qe.jpg

pic2lz.jpg

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first glance, I thought it was a small gator....That is one cool looking lizard.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's crazy it does look like a gator

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
LOL Awesome!

Top Member Reactions