Despite the gale force winds-A first find for me-sharp!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,I went to Hollywood beach earlier this morning.The wind was blowing about 35-40 mph.Machine was acting funny with ghost signals and chatter.Tried manual ground balance but each setting was worse than the preset mode.Turned down the sensitivity and turned up the discrim. a bit and it worked alright after that.The finds were few and far between and I ended up with $1.78 in clad,one junk earring,one 10k earring and a first for me- a motorola moto-razor cell phone.The funny thing is,it is still working! It was under 6 inches of sand next to a lifeguard shack.It must of got pushed under by the beach cleaning drag because the last call was made at 7:11 pm last night! How's that for a quick recovery! I'm gonna call his mother and let her know I found her sons phone.I'd want it back if it was mine. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• hollywood bch-11-05-06-1.jpg
    hollywood bch-11-05-06-1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 626
  • hollywood bch-11-05-06-2.jpg
    hollywood bch-11-05-06-2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 620
Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The finds-

Attachments

• 11-05-06 hllywdbch finds.jpg
    11-05-06 hllywdbch finds.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 616
  • Hwdbch finds gold earring close-up 11-05-06.jpg
    Hwdbch finds gold earring close-up 11-05-06.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 610
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mom just came by and picked up the phone.She offered me $10,I didn't take it. :) I should have told her to look at the video on it.Her son smoking a joint.But I didn't.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wish someone would have returned my phone when I lost it, but it must not have been found by a MDer. :)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
WHOA strong windage there. Nice pic. Good of you to return that phone that is a real cool thing to do.

Congratulations on that GOLD...gotta love it!!

Postalrevnant

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Look at that second picture. The beach refurbishment is not beachsand, its dirt. I came home with black under my fingernails from digging in this "sand". I remember it used to be all tiny shell pieces and clean.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Whoa that is some major wind,I hate hunting in a bad wind but a guy has to hunt regardless of the wether thrown at him. I walk a good ways into the wind then turn my back to it and start detecting,keep doing this til its time to go,wearing a hood helps a lot with the hearing as well...HH

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post, very nice of you to be able to return something and give the hobby a good name! The kid probably had enough worry over the phone and someone finding it with the incriminating evidence, maybe he learned something, LOL, doubt it! That is some serious wind. HH, Mike

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Look at that second picture. The beach refurbishment is not beachsand, its dirt. I came home with black under my fingernails from digging in this "sand". I remember it used to be all tiny shell pieces and clean.
Yeah right! Kind of like some of the "dirt" in my yard.Some of the water was coming up past the lifeguard shack which sits about 50-60 feet from the "broadwalk" which of course is where the beachside businesses are sittting.They were talking about this issue on local FOX news the other night,the 45 million dollars spent,and how it was necessary because of tourism even though it may only last 10 years.At this rate it won't last 5 years.Imagine when the next hurricane hits.I'm going to Sebastian on Thanksgiving.It'll be interesting to see how those beaches are fairing.
shootist said:
Whoa that is some major wind,I hate hunting in a bad wind but a guy has to hunt regardless of the wether thrown at him. I walk a good ways into the wind then turn my back to it and start detecting,keep doing this til its time to go,wearing a hood helps a lot with the hearing as well...HH
Yup.It was so windy I could barely hear my signals with my headphones on.Without them,I wouldn't have been able to hear a thing.Wind was coming from the east so I did a lot of detecting with my back to the ocean.
Bavaria Mike said:
Awesome post, very nice of you to be able to return something and give the hobby a good name! The kid probably had enough worry over the phone and someone finding it with the incriminating evidence, maybe he learned something, LOL, doubt it! That is some serious wind. HH, Mike
Yeah,I doubt it too.They must have lived close cause his mom was over in about 8 minutes flat after I hung up the phone with her.The wife had hers "lifted" at the restaurant she works at.Meanwhile,she turns in an average of 2 a week over there.I would want someone to do the same for me so it was the right thing to do.I told her he was lucky cause that thing had already been buried by the beach drag.Imagine my surprise when I dug a phone out from 6 inches under the wet sand and it was still on.I thought it was a remote control for a tv at first!

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Nice finds Dig! Seems like Hollywood beach has been pushing in a lot of earings. Last week I found a gold and silver. Good to see ya hunting the beach!

If you want to hook up sometime pm me. I usually hit it on Fri, Sat, and Sun.

HH 8) surfrat

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Kinda reminds me of the windshere yesterdy only minus the 5 inches of rain...I was literally thelast passenger vehicle alowed throughn the highway and the floodwater picked up my Explorer and turned it sideways..Kinda freaked me out but dangit I HAD to go see what the weather was doing to the beaches! The things we do for fun eh?
LOL

Good kharma turning in that phone.I found a pink razor about a month ago and did the same thing. Made the gal very happy to get it back.

~Nashoba~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions