COUPLE TNers + 3FIRST FINDS =A GOOD WEEKEND!!!!!!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
COUPLE TNer's + 3FIRST FIND'S =A GOOD WEEKEND!!!!!!!

Met up with Justin and his Father-in-Law Al.....took them up to one of the farm's at Antietam on Saturday.....Al find's his FIRST 3 ringer ever....Nice job Al......Sunday I met up with Justin again and hunted one of his new propertie's.Weren't really sure of the back property line so we decided to go up a little way's and hunt back down...On the way back down we started getting hit's...Found an old trap and a 30-30 shell.Skipping forward to Justin's hunt,which I'm sure he will tell you more about , it started getting better.....I watched him dig this hole for an hour.....I've never seen anthing like this.....Some poor soul went into battle with a little less than expected needless to say....But that's another story and I'll let Justin tell you that one....Unbelievable.....This find is my FIRST....Sorry,lost for word's right now.....Right before Justin started diggin' his huge "cache" of bullet's I found this,full bayonet and scabbard intact....I'm drinkin' a beer right now so no research for me tonight...Thank's again Justin....Awesome Weekend!!!!!

Attachments

• 2006_1105Image0001.JPG
    2006_1105Image0001.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 729
  • 2006_1105Image0015.JPG
    2006_1105Image0015.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 715
  • 2006_1105Image0011.JPG
    2006_1105Image0011.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 723
  • 2006_1105Image0012.JPG
    2006_1105Image0012.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 728
  • 2006_1105Image0008.JPG
    2006_1105Image0008.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 737
  • 2006_1105Image0002.JPG
    2006_1105Image0002.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 727
Upvote 0

USCG ASM

Greenie
Oct 6, 2006
Re: COUPLE TNer's + 3FIRST FIND'S =A GOOD WEEKEND!!!!!!!

I've found similar small caches of lead like Justin but not that many. To someone who is more knowledgeable than me... is that what they used to call Buck and Ball?

Very nice find, congrats

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, that is really awesome! A big congrats and thanks for the post! HH, Mike

trubl1096

Oct 17, 2006
Landlocked
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x/ Aquapulse/ WHITE'S II

I would be jumping for joy with a find like that. Then I would head for the refrigerator too for my celebratory beer.

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats a sweet bayonet....awesome find :) :) :)

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

great items !!!! sounds like everyone got something....ya baby.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

jmginmd

Nov 10, 2004

I never formally introduced myself to the site but I am Justin. It was a great weekend to get out and we made the most of it. I am so happy my father-in-law found his first 3-ringer and also that Joe made such a great find. I have never seen one close up after being pulled from the ground but the condition is amazing. Too bad I will be hunting by myself because Joe is not allowed back ;D! I still can't believe that I got that much lead out of one hole. Before yesterday I have only found two 3-ringers, one fired and one dropped. I think I set a record I won't be breaking anytime soon.

This was the first hunt on the property since I received permission. I am hoping we can get back out this weekend to hit it again. After the hunt, we spoke to the owner and he pointed out a few features that we will be hitting next time. I also gave him one of the round balls so he could have a little conversation piece.

It is interesting how I got permission to search from him but I will save that for a little later cause I am at work. Happy hunting all!

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow man, you certainly deserved it after a few hunts without success. That is amazing!! I still think there is some good stuff at the Antietam farm, we will have to hit it hard again at least once more before winter. Oh, and I noticed they cut the corn down behind the grocery store...I will call you this week, maybe we can hit something on Sunday.

OP
OP
civilman1

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I finally worked the bayonet from the scabbard with no damage....Blade seem's to be in good shape although I couldn't find any marking's as of yet..The 1898 Krag Jorgensen is about the closest I could find but still a little different than this one....Gonna post it in the what's it section....Thank's for all the replie's and HH!!

Attachments

• 2006_1106Image0002.JPG
    2006_1106Image0002.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 391
  • 2006_1106Image0005.JPG
    2006_1106Image0005.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 400

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

That bayonet is is in AMAZING condition! You really did hit a honeyhole there!
Great digs and Congrats! I literally am in awe at the condition of that blade!
~Nashoba~

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is indeed a bayonet of the type used on a Mauser. I have several of them and even use one to dig with on occasion. Were they in the same hole as the round balls? Could have found a place where a kid stashed his treasures once upon a time? Being under a rock would make one think they were purposly hidden there instead of just dropped. The bayonet could date back before WWI. Monty

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Fun stuff. That is a great find. ;D ;D I love watching others dig big holes for long periods of time....It really builds the suspense. ;D ;D

snorton750

Jul 28, 2006
Auburn, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID

Now that's one SWEEEEt blade. Can't believe that could be a pouch drop, tend to agree it was someone's stash. Did you check all around that rock without any disc. on. There might be other things hid in the nearby area. Great find HH Stan...

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Congrats on a awesome bayounet Civilman.

You deserve it to. Way to keep digging out that monster hole. They can really get down deep on big items. The musket shots are all very nice also.

It stayed in really great shape to. One nice piece you got there. Those are my types of hunting grounds were I'm at my best. The woods is where you wanna be.

HH Jer

jmginmd

Nov 10, 2004

snorton750 said:
Did you check all around that rock without any disc. on. There might be other things hid in the nearby area. Great find HH Stan...

Yeah, I never use discrimination in the woods. I only wish I would have walked to the truck to get my 5" coil to get under the rock better. I think I got everything from under the rock but I think there are some more targets around the rock. I had to leave some for next time ;).

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Amazing finds! Congrats you two!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's one of my Mauser bayonets, the one I dig with. It came with a Czeck Mauser I bought and is one of several. I collect early WWI and WWII bolt action rifles. The bayonets are made essentially the same but will vary slightly from country to country. The Germans either sold the rifles and bayonets to various countries or sold them the machinery for them to manufacture their own. The German M98 is the one most recognizeable but other countries made various spin offs from the M98, including one with a shorter bolt acton.d I could go on and on but there are books written on just one variation of the Mauser military bolt action rifle. Anyway, that is a Mauser bayonet and will fit on any Mauser rifle of that era except for the Swede and I have six of them. Monty

Attachments

• Mauser Bayonets 001.jpg
    Mauser Bayonets 001.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 210
  • Mauser Bayonets 002.jpg
    Mauser Bayonets 002.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 201

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Whatever the year (though I'm afraid I agree it is more modern than civil war) this is such a great find, and the blade is beatiful, I love the feel of these blades, almost sword like, keep that one, there may be more to come. And Please keep us informed on the age.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread