kylawrence

Mar 23, 2012
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silver penny1.jpg silver penny2.jpg

I found this 1995 D Penny today it is silver and I mean silver like a new quarter. It is not real silver nor copper coated. It does stick to a magnet. Does anyone have any clues on this?

Upvote 1

Hmille10

May 8, 2012
SE MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just literally went to a coin shop about an hour ago with a 1954 wheatie that looked identical to this and stuck to a magnet also. It turned out someone actually chromed the coin in a chrome shop so that would be my guess to what yours is also but im no expert.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I think this used to be some kind of experiment in science class or a shop class. There is also a factory here where I live that has a plating department and I know the guys that work there do this and then just spend them. We see them in circulation around here from time to time.

OP
OP
K

kylawrence

Mar 23, 2012
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I googled this and found this information!!!

There are two possibilities with a '1995D silver penny': 1. Someone has altered the coin after it was minted and if so, it is worth a penny. 2. It could be a misstruck/error coin (a coin struck on a planchet intended for a coin of another denomination or of the wrong metal) if this is the case then it could be worth as much as $250.00 according to condition.

Read more: What is the value of a 1995-D silver penny

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I googled this and found this information!!!

There are two possibilities with a '1995D silver penny': 1. Someone has altered the coin after it was minted and if so, it is worth a penny. 2. It could be a misstruck/error coin (a coin struck on a planchet intended for a coin of another denomination or of the wrong metal) if this is the case then it could be worth as much as $250.00 according to condition.

Read more: What is the value of a 1995-D silver penny

Obviously #2 is out because it sticks to a magnet.

My first thought was mercury stuck to it, but then you said it was magnetic. ??? I dunno

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously #2 is out because it sticks to a magnet.

My first thought was mercury stuck to it, but then you said it was magnetic. ??? I dunno

more in the article states

In Reality
Most likely you have one of the relatively common unfinished planchet errors. This happens when part of the long strip that blanks are cut out of does not get completely covered with its thin outer layer of copper. This can happen on one side or both. These generally sell for $5 or less.
It may look like silver or been plated with silver but the US has never made any silver 1 cent coins.

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep we used to chrome all kinds of stuff in the shop . Looks like someone had some time to kill. good find still .

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro & Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A copper coated 1955 Wheatie would truly be an anomily, because they were solid copper coins and the zinc pennies did not come into play until the lat 80's if my memory serves me correct.

So I vote for experiment.

John

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
A copper coated 1955 Wheatie would truly be an anomily, because they were solid copper coins and the zinc pennies did not come into play until the lat 80's if my memory serves me correct.

So I vote for experiment.

John

Where did anyone in this thread mention anything about a 1955 Wheatie?
Aghhh, this thread hurts my head...

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
OR...possibly an Al Queda plot to overthrow our government,by undermining our currency..... one conterfeit penny at a time !:laughing9:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others stated, it a science project, seen many before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread