Cornwallis Slept Here (My 47th birthday hunt)

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My club finally got permission to hunt an old farm about 20 miles outside Charlotte in Lincoln County, N.C. One of the guys had been courting the owners and caretakers for a couple of years and they let us in this weekend. The farm itself was a plantation, but even cooler than that was Cornwallis had an encampment of 2,000+ troops during the Revolutionary War and actually stayed there a while. The fellow that got us permision went in with the caretaker a couple of weeks ago and found 4 colonial coins, some flat buttons and some musket balls. None of this probably sounds very exciting to you guys from New England where this is commonplace, but down here this is like the detecting spot of dreams. And we've got permission to hunt it as a group from now on.
I only spent about 3 hours out there Saturday with the group, and was excited to find some square colonial nails.
The actual encampment was a couple of football field lengths from where I was hunting, and the guy that got us permission took off for it as soon as his feet hit the ground when we drove up. I hung around near the plantation house and spring house that was 100 yards or so from the house. That was where most of us were hunting due to wives at home that didn't want us to spend the whole day. I plan on going back as often as I get time, and next time I plan on hitting the encampment. Here's a picture of the nails and some of the guys from the club. That big ugly Gomer Pyle looking dude in the back with the reddish sweatshirt is me.

Attachments

• Metal Detecting Ingleside Nov 2006005.JPG
    Metal Detecting Ingleside Nov 2006005.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 397
  • Metal Detecting Ingleside Nov 2006004.JPG
    Metal Detecting Ingleside Nov 2006004.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Happy Birthday!

What a cool place to hunt - specially for your birthday. And those are nails worth finding. Very cool!

HH
Nan

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds great and good luck! Happy belated Bday and HH, Mike

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Sounds like a great site. If that one guy found four colonial coins...wow.... that would be exciting!

For the wife you really have to dramatize things; "This is a once in a lifetime opportunity..." "I'll never get a chance like this again."
etc. :)

Good luck with the wife not the finds. Finds will be the easy part. ;)

Mirage

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread