A locket and the rest of the weekend finds...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detected about 6 hours this weekend on three different fields. Friday I detected a new field that has just been plowed, it has been a feed field for years and I was surprised to see it plowed and I was not allowed to detect it until now. It produced nothing other than a few pieces of trash. Saturday I did a night hunt on another field, very muddy but made a few finds. Sunday was a miserable rainy cold day so I did a grass field for about 2 hours. I wasn’t going to go out but, thought about the freezing weather rapidly approaching and how snowbound I will be. The field pictured below is from Friday, a stork was hanging out and didn’t seem to mind me at all and yes, that is snow!
normal_5Nov06stork.jpg

Here’s the finds. A nice little blue glass bead, have found maybe 10 this year, all blue and they range in age from 2000 years old to 300-400 years old.
normal_5Nov06bead.jpg

A few relics, upper left to right is part of a heel plate, a whatsit, part of a buckle that looks like a T, a crusty button, a flattened aluminum container that I find many of, an aluminum thimble and two musket balls.
normal_5Nov06relics2.jpg

A 1925 Pfennig and the only coin find, a copper disk with a rivet hole, an aluminum seal, a large button with the word London on it and a small piece of brass with a hand made design on it.
normal_5Nov06relics1.jpg

A better view of the hand made design, initials HVC, I wonder what it was?
5Nov06design.jpg

Obverse of a small locket I found Sunday, it was about 10” down.
normal_5Nov06LocketO.jpg

Reverse of the locket, took the pics before I opened it as I thought I would break it or mutilate it somehow.
normal_5Nov06LocketR.jpg

The locket opened much easier than I expected and I did not harm it. Inside is a little nasty, I thought it looked like roots and dirt but at a closer glance, it is the remnants of rotted wood with a very small pin. The pin is at the middle top.
5Nov06locketopen.jpg

The little pin, no gold coins, LOL! Thanks for looking and HH, Mike
normal_5Nov06pin.jpg

Upvote 0

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
Nice "HVC" fragment, but no ideas about it. Looks like I missed first snow here_tried to detect on Canary <Island Tenerife, no success_ but 26-30°C. Plus

HH

Sand

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ! Man it is exciting to open one of those for the first time. I was hopen for a little gold coin but it was not to be.LOL

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike, those are some pretty cool finds if I do say so myself! Thanks for sharing with everyone....HH/NS

snorton750

Jul 28, 2006
Auburn, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
Just rotted wood. Wood.. Wood??? Now why would anyone carry a piece of wood in a locket? If I let my imagination run wild, like it dosn't anyway, I might think someone had a piece of the True Cross, or maybe just a piece of wood from the hull of a ship, or maybe the box her/his parent was burried in. Don't you love the questions some of our finds bring up? Any idea as to the age of the locket. Looks older then the Northwest has been populated by us European interlopers. HH Stan...

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some nice finds Mike.

Not to many good days left for you to hunt.

HH Jer

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Man, your stuff looks ancient! ;D Pretty cool. That's a nice little blue bead. :)

Last winter I kept saying to the wife "this will be the last time out for a while" and it never turned out to be true. I don't expect to get that lucky this year.

Bob

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice locket

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
BM,

nice group of finds.

That locket is very interesting. Wood and some
type of pin. ???

So I'm going to be thinking what would they have
in a locket, wood and some type of pin. Wonder
if the pin was attached to the wood. ???

Could be some type of European custom. I'd sure
show it to some local folks, see if they could make
head or tails out of it.

Again, nice finds; thanks for posting.

have a good un..........

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike........Those are some nice old finds once again! I see you did some night hunting......Was it a full Moon!!! Congrats again , for some nice stuff! HH :o

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Congratulations Mike more great digs from over there I see. Man I sure do love the color of that bead. That is one sweet shade of blue.

Rev

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi mike, i always enjoy your posts and you always find so many interesting relic. congrats

tinpan

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
cool stuff as always! Stay warm down there in your neck of the woods! I think winter is gonna hit hard this time around :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread