YAY!!! Not only did I find my first Merc. dime today, BUT....

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
I also found my second!!! I posted pics of my finds from the past couple of days. These were from 2 different parks. The bottles I found behind a local park where there is a creek. They were kind of sticking out of the creek bank from about 4' down. The little bottle pic that I posted says: "Davis Drug Store, Orchard St and Westfield Ave, Elizabeth, NJ". Another bottle still has part of the metal cap on it, and it says "Colgate & Company NYC". Another says "Pride of the Farm Catsup (Ketchup)".

Looking these up online I got an idea that the bottles range in age from about 1900 to 1930. I wasn't a bottle collecter at all but I think I am now! ;D I'll be going back to this creek as there were many more bottles back there. As far as the merc's go, that was from a park today. They weren't even close, about 100 to 200 yds from each other. One is a 1937 and the other a 41..I was THRILLED to find these! The utility knife was actually in the playground area...nice huh?! If my stepson (or any kid) was there and got hurt...there would be hell to pay!

I got 2 copper looking things that almost look like lipstick tubes, but I'm not sure. One says "Taytons" on it, and the other one looks like it may open, and I don't want to try to open it, I don't want to damage it.

I found out that the park that I was at today is draining the lake to kind of dredge it out. I'll be hitting it once it's drained completely. I'm also joining the local historical society. I stopped by there the other day and got an app. I have to drop it off on Wed. They told me that if anyone bothers me while detecting in town to just say that I'm doing it for the Historical Society!

Well...here's the pics...enjoy!!! :)

Attachments

• 100_4910.JPG
    100_4910.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 543
  • 100_4913.JPG
    100_4913.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 544
  • 100_4920.JPG
    100_4920.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 540
  • 100_4921.JPG
    100_4921.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 536
  • 100_4926.JPG
    100_4926.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 544
Upvote 0

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Congrats on the beautiful dimes. I've never dug one of those, and you got two in a single outing! Good looking bottles, too. I don't know a thing about them, though.

Super finds, and thanks for sharing.

Roger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions