YAY!!! Not only did I find my first Merc. dime today, BUT....

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
I also found my second!!! I posted pics of my finds from the past couple of days. These were from 2 different parks. The bottles I found behind a local park where there is a creek. They were kind of sticking out of the creek bank from about 4' down. The little bottle pic that I posted says: "Davis Drug Store, Orchard St and Westfield Ave, Elizabeth, NJ". Another bottle still has part of the metal cap on it, and it says "Colgate & Company NYC". Another says "Pride of the Farm Catsup (Ketchup)".

Looking these up online I got an idea that the bottles range in age from about 1900 to 1930. I wasn't a bottle collecter at all but I think I am now! ;D I'll be going back to this creek as there were many more bottles back there. As far as the merc's go, that was from a park today. They weren't even close, about 100 to 200 yds from each other. One is a 1937 and the other a 41..I was THRILLED to find these! The utility knife was actually in the playground area...nice huh?! If my stepson (or any kid) was there and got hurt...there would be hell to pay!

I got 2 copper looking things that almost look like lipstick tubes, but I'm not sure. One says "Taytons" on it, and the other one looks like it may open, and I don't want to try to open it, I don't want to damage it.

I found out that the park that I was at today is draining the lake to kind of dredge it out. I'll be hitting it once it's drained completely. I'm also joining the local historical society. I stopped by there the other day and got an app. I have to drop it off on Wed. They told me that if anyone bothers me while detecting in town to just say that I'm doing it for the Historical Society!

Well...here's the pics...enjoy!!! :)

Attachments

• 100_4910.JPG
    100_4910.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 543
  • 100_4913.JPG
    100_4913.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 544
  • 100_4920.JPG
    100_4920.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 540
  • 100_4921.JPG
    100_4921.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 536
  • 100_4926.JPG
    100_4926.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 544
Upvote 0

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
Now those Mercs had to calm the Fury! But that razor blade would infuriate me too.

Congrats on 2 in one day!

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice......kool firsts :)

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Nice dimes fury. That is exactly the type of thing I hope to find someday. Congrats.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Not one but TWO beautiful coins and some cool bottles to boot! Great finds!

~Nashoba~

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really great variety of finds! Congrats!!

Nan :)

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Nice Mercs and some cool bottles you have there.I believe I have the same one (2nd in from the right).I know where Westfield Ave is in Elizabeth.The next county over from me in Monmouth County. Congrats on your finds.
Mike

OP
OP
MetalFury

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
Thanks for the comments all...I'm still buzzin from the Mercs...I keep looking at them and holding them :D I LOVE finding cool stuff like that! That's what makes this hobby so cool, you just never know everytime you go out what you'll find.
And thank you lara for those links. I bookmarked them...I guess I have a new hobby now looking for bottles :)

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Congrats on your 1st&2nd and both of them Mercury dimes...thats pretty cool.
Great start on your bottle collecting.One thing leads to another.
Best of luck and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread