GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the best finds that I have and it started off as just another day at the creek. Yesterday, I went with my wife and daughter along with my sister and her husband to cool off from this 100+ degree heat we are having here in Southwest Georgia. Shortly after we got in the water, which was less than knee deep, my sister pointed out two flint tools she spotted laying on the creek bed. These finds told me that there was likely points in the area so I started looking as well. I began running my fingers through the sand and finding pottery shards. After I worked that area with little luck, I decided to move down stream and try another spot. I had to pull some limbs out of the way to get a new area cleaned. Thats when this pipe came up. I did not find any points but thats o.k. with this taking thier place! This will likely be the center piece in my collection for quite some time. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed!!

Attachments

• Clay pipe.jpg
    Clay pipe.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,204
  • Indian Pipe - Lee C. 001.jpg
    Indian Pipe - Lee C. 001.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,080
  • Indian Pipe - Lee C. 004.jpg
    Indian Pipe - Lee C. 004.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,244
  • Indian Pipe - Lee C. 005.jpg
    Indian Pipe - Lee C. 005.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,136
Upvote 37

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the best finds that I have and it started off as just another day at the creek. Yesterday, I went with my wife and daughter along with my sister and her husband to cool off from this 100+ degree heat we are having here in Southwest Georgia. Shortly after we got in the water, which was less than knee deep, my sister pointed out two flint tools she spotted laying on the creek bed. These finds told me that there was likely points in the area so I started looking as well. I began running my fingers through the sand and finding pottery shards. After I worked that area with little luck, I decided to move down stream and try another spot. I had to pull some limbs out of the way to get a new area cleaned. Thats when this pipe came up. I did not find any points but thats o.k. with this taking thier place! This will likely be the center piece in my collection for quite some time. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed!!

Thats one fat party bowl!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes you wonder what they used it for...not your run of the mill pipe for sure. Did the Mayans use Cannabis? Tobacco?

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GaRebel. This pipe is beyond banner. You should contact your nearest university archeologist and let them have a look at it. They have many connections/other archeologists who could help date and identify the origin of this piece. Truly a remarkable find.

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in awe over your find Jim,.....what a priceless artifact!

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That's the most unusual piece I have ever seen. Beautiful ! Thanks for sharing !

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks from bringing this back up. Truely amazing find!

A few thoughts- maybe it was stored in a pottery vessel that just recently broke apart. That is very pristine for a creek artifact. Preservation- if it is clay-please look into how to properly preserve that piece. If it's stone- you're probably ok- but consider the same-anyway. If it's hard & stable- consider making some $ or sharing it by having casts made from it.
Great find.

BANNER

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the best Indian relic I've ever seen found and posted on here. I can't imagine the thrill it must have been just seeing that laying in the stream.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread