U.S. POSTAL LOCK ?

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went for another hunt with my new found friend and we seem to be doing jsut fine finding the OLD stuff. Can anyone possatively I D this one for me... Possably a date ? It was found in the water and about a foot and a half deep in the sand. The spring door for the lock works perfect. The chain has long since rotted away from the salt. Any help would be great... Whydah U S Lock (1).JPG U S Lock (2).JPG U S Lock (3).JPG U S Lock (4).JPG U S Lock (5).JPG U S Lock (6).JPG

Upvote 0

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like it might be: Post Exchange by Corbin

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I would say that it's a switch lock for the railroad, the broken piece on the bottom would have been where the chain attached. There was a RR line called U.S. Railways (USRX) But I don't don't know if they used U.S. to mark their stuff or not. The government also owned their own railways too so it could be that also. Sorry I couldn't help you out with a positive ID but I didn't realize there was so much information about padlocks on the interweb, lol. Good luck,

Charlie

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I would say that it's a switch lock for the railroad, the broken piece on the bottom would have been where the chain attached. There was a RR line called U.S. Railways (USRX) But I don't don't know if they used U.S. to mark their stuff or not. The government also owned their own railways too so it could be that also. Sorry I couldn't help you out with a positive ID but I didn't realize there was so much information about padlocks on the interweb, lol. Good luck,

Charlie
Thanks Charlie, Thats a lot more info than I had an hour ago... It is very possible that it is in fact a RR lock... The Rail Road went rite by where I found it back in the teens and twenty's... I was hoping may be a little older though... Like Cival War Era? 1860's US Troops Lock for may be a safe???

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be RR, or other U S Govt. agency. Many lock companies have been contracted over the years. I have found 2 or 3 over the last 40 years. VERY well made! Can't provide anymore info but like to say you have a very nice find there. And nice pics! TTC

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hey it could be off of a Union ammo box, strong box or who knows what. I looked at some civil war era padlocks and didn't see any that were real close to yours but like I said there is a LOT of padlocks out there. It may be easier to go the library or some antique shops have reference books they will let you look at. I really thought a simple U.S. stamp on it would make it easy to ID but no such luck. There are a lot of folks out there that know more then me so hopefully one of them will come across this post and know exactly what you found.

Charlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeeeet lock !!!!! Congrats !!!

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Can't help with ID... But that is a very cool lock and find!!!

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dagg nabbitt ! I found one as a kid , carried it around for a while and tossed it. What a dorkweed ! Hey Nice find ...:occasion14:

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey it could be off of a Union ammo box, strong box or who knows what. I looked at some civil war era padlocks and didn't see any that were real close to yours but like I said there is a LOT of padlocks out there. It may be easier to go the library or some antique shops have reference books they will let you look at. I really thought a simple U.S. stamp on it would make it easy to ID but no such luck. There are a lot of folks out there that know more then me so hopefully one of them will come across this post and know exactly what you found.

A possitive I D for the lock.. Its an ARMY ISSUE PADLOCK for the year 1880 follow this websight for the pictures just click on the picture and you will see the same lock... Pattented in June 25th of 1878.... Wow what a find for sure Wilson Bohannan Logo Padocks - U thru U - Antique Padlocks

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since the discussion continues, here's a little more on your lock as shown in THE PADLOCK COLLECTOR BOOK(page 237).
If yours does not have the Bohannan writing on it, it is probably a "Post Exchange" Fort Slocum, NY and made by Corbin Lock Co.
P.F. Corbin Lock company began in 1852 and continued as a division of Emhart Co.into the 1990's and then merged into Corbin Russwin Inc in 1993
My guess on it's age would be 1880's to the early 1900's if it's a Corbin. Just a guess though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Since the discussion continues, here's a little more on your lock as shown in THE PADLOCK COLLECTOR BOOK(page 237).
If yours does not have the Bohannan writing on it, it is probably a "Post Exchange" Fort Slocum, NY and made by Corbin Lock Co.
P.F. Corbin Lock company began in 1852 and continued as a division of Emhart Co.into the 1990's and then merged into Corbin Russwin Inc in 1993
My guess on it's age would be 1880's to the early 1900's if it's a Corbin. Just a guess though.

Awsome info Tom, I'm guessing it was used to secure a mail bag???? Has no bohannan writing... I can barely make out the pattent on the shank....what do you think it may be worth in this condition? The slide for the key area works perfect...Wonder If I should restore it or leave it the way I found it?

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The book shows a value of $25.00. It's a neat looking lock and would make a nice center piece of a lock & key display.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool looking lock!!

Joe

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thank You Tom, I apreciate the footwork....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions