Old train station finds

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hunted an old 1800s rural train station this afternoon. It is being torn down this weekend Not alot of land that was clear. Lots of weeds. Any help on the medal?

image-1964973811.jpg

image-819139984.jpg

Upvote 2

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice !! The 38 shell looks like an old one,I love the medal,not sure what it belongs to ,but someone will. Hopefully you get the chance to go back, Congrats & Good luck !!! P.S. Is there anything on the back of the medal ??

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No help on the watch FOB, but I dug one exactly like it last year at an old farm, great find!

OP
OP
gforce1972

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Nothing on back of medal. The item on the left is a women's compact with a bullet hole through it.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fob, I found a repro of it on Amazon, but nothing about it other than that. It's an Army General Service Eagle, and I'd guess 1940's or 50's?

Chrystal

Apr 5, 2012
Pauls Valley, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds, i really hope you get to go back and hunt some more. I couldnt tell you about the metal but all your finds are really neat, good luck and happy hunting!!!

Mole Man

Jun 24, 2012
Longview, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i

White's XLT

Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff, love the medal!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a clue on ya metal....But all of them are cool.....HH

OP
OP
gforce1972

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
As a few posted here earlier and enlightened me, it isn't a medal, but a watch FOB from an old pocket watch.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds ! Keep digging near the RR station loading area , it may be possible you get a RR metal baggage tag or two . These tags are always an exciting prize :exclamation: also some locations near the tracks could be prime place to find run over by the train , squashed coins .. found a few dozen IH pennies that the kids left on the tracks 80-120 years ago

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds ! Keep digging near the RR station loading area , it may be possible you get a RR metal baggage tag or two . These tags are always an exciting prize :exclamation: also some locations near the tracks could be prime place to find run over by the train , squashed coins .. found a few dozen IH pennies that the kids left on the tracks 80-120 years ago

If you're going to look for these, look farther off the tracks. Sometimes the pennies would stay near the tracks, and sometimes they'd get squirted off in the brush and lost. I recall about 30% losses. It wasn't considered terrorism in those days. :laughing7:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: your right , Bum Luck .. 30 % flew , they are paper thin and oblong so they didn't get too far and most will be easy pickin' because they don't get buried deep by time .. forgot to mention the hot rocks around these old railroad places . Have Fun G

Last edited:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The .38 cartridge looks like it has the old 200 gr. roundnose bullet. These were carried by some of the officers I worked with, with the idea that they would penetrate a car door in a shoot out. The idea was that bigger was better in the era of the 1950s and early 60s. Later on our PD went to the .357 Magnum and discovered that light weight jacketed bullets at high velocity penetrated just as well as the 200 gr. lead bullet with enough remaining energy to do damage on the other side. Winchester made a 158 gr. jacketed penetrator type full metal bullet that was advertised as an armour piercing bullet. It did pretty fair but wasn't all that great as I remember. Monty

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: your right , Bum Luck .. 30 % flew , they are paper thin and oblong so they didn't get too far and most will be easy pickin' because they don't get buried deep by time .. forgot to mention the hot rocks around these old railroad places . Have Fun G

Worse is the railroad junk, commonly discarded by the crews such as bent spikes, plates (my favorite), broken bolts, etc. Be very careful around tracks; most times they are off limits for obvious safety reasons, and even the bed slopes can be unstable footing.

HH!

OP
OP
gforce1972

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
This line was abandoned and rails removed 15 years ago or more. Here are some photos. Site is in PA.

image-4173489424.jpg

image-875788328.jpg

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife worked for a short line railway for over 20 years and retired in 1996. I have seen detectorists working along the tracks of this railway and then pack up and go home in frustration. What they don't realize is that the line mainly hauled scrap metal to the steel mill. Nearly every trip resulted in pieces of scrap metal falling off of the gondola cars as the moved along the tracks. There is enough scrap metal of various sorts along those tracks to drive you nuts if you are metal detecting. I am no smarter than the rest having tried to hunt along the tracks several years ago when it dawned on me what the problem was! Monty

sgratrider

Sep 21, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find these at Ore Valley, in York Township ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread