1867 Shield Nickel - UPDATED NEW PIC

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Hello All,
Our trip last weekend to Ghost Town Buckskin Joe (see http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,55632.0.html) wasn't as successful as I had planned, but we came out with some interesting things after all. We never did find the actual ghost town because many of the roads up there are not marked and we couldn't find the one we wanted. However, in the general area we were hiking about and noticed a little clearing that had a row of rocks that seemed to mark something. I recalled having read in a book to look for rows of rocks and trees that might mean old foundations, so we decided to see what we could find! Personally I found two really old bottle caps, some round object that looks like a coin that I can't identify, and the only official coin of the day, an 1867 shield nickel, roughly 8 inches deep! It made sense since the ghost town we were looking for was prominent between 1859-1869, so the date fit in nicely with the history of the area. My friends found an old button that was identified as some sort of dress button, and what looked like an old butter knife that registered as nickel. Overall it was more frustrating than fun, but at least we came out with something! I apologize for the sucky picture, I promise I'll take a better one later and post it!

madfranks

Here's the better pic like I promised. I used a scanner at my shcool, and I couldn't figure it out very well, so this is the best I could do. Sorry no obverse, they told me not to scan coins because it can scratch the glass. :o :o :o

Attachments

• 1104061232.jpg
    1104061232.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 631
  • 1107060722.jpg
    1107060722.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 619
  • 1867 nickel.jpg
    1867 nickel.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 415
Upvote 0

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Re: 1867 Shield Nickel!

Nice job on the nickel. Hard to tell but looks like in decent shape. I have learned that on those type of hunts you have to go with a certain mindset. I really don't do them that much but they are nice to do once in a while even if you don't find much.

Mirage

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with Mirage, sometimes you drive a long ways and come up with nothing. At least you came away with a very old coin.

You might try putting your coins on a scanner and scan them to your computer, there you can make them much brighter, sharper and so on.

Thanks for your post, good luck at your next hunt.

HH, Ringfinder

P.S. Is that snow I see in the background. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the Shield Nickle! I enjoy exploring and detecting combined, lots of fun. Good luck finding the actual ghost town site and HH, Mike

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE

Hey Madfranks
Its ashame those nickels don't come out of the ground nicer. Does that one have rays?
HH
Mark G

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice shield nickle.

Good eye on the site. Somtimes there is very little left. Rocks are a real good indicator like that. Should be a few more keepers there some where.

HH Jer

OP
OP
madfranks

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

markgPA said:
Hey Madfranks
Its ashame those nickels don't come out of the ground nicer. Does that one have rays?
HH
Mark G

Yeah, the nickel isn't in great shape, but I cleaned it up really well and the date is readable, and that's what matters most. No rays on this one, that would have been sweet if it did.

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very kool :)

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer
Cool find man, that one was probably passed up by someone thinking it was trash in the past......good hearing my friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread