Oh gee...more artillery shells...

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with HomeGuardDan this weekend and scored 2 1/2 more artillery shells and a bayonet. The bayonet was fully exposed in only one inch of water. Hard to believe some fisherman didn't snatch it up years ago. The shells include a 6 pounder solid shot, an exploded Hotchkiss and what I believe to be a Read-Parrott, but I'm not positive on that as it looks a little different. The really smooth Read is one I found a few days ago and didn't post. I just took it out of electrolysis and cracked the crust this evening. It's a beaut for sure....

DSCN3318.JPG

The smooth Read...

DSCN3320.JPG

The bayonet in-situ and untouched as found...

P7060002.JPG

And a bunch of baby spiders on my house just for giggles...

DSCN3309.JPG

Thanks for checking out my post. I know I'm just on the Civil War stuff now and it may be a bit boring to some, but I'll be mixing it up soon...

Upvote 2

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds AC, Man! I say it everytime, But I gotta get into that water hunting.......HH

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude you are putting together one heck of a artillery shell collection this summer! I feel lucky to find a few bullets every once in a while, can't even imagine having a hunt like the ones you've been posting results of! HH and look forward to the next post.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah that civil war stuff is getting boring. Lol

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man they must have shelled the crap outta that place

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man they must have shelled the crap outta that place

My shells haven't been from one site. I have at least 10 different spots separated by nearly 200 miles represented this season so far. Sure would have been easier to have found them all together, but certainly not nearly as fun! Thanks for the comment...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I sincerely hope you make a year-end post of all your finds. That would shut the forum down there'd be so much traffic to gawk at the post. :)

Congrats on some more fantastic recoveries.

-Buck

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool! Would like to see the bayonet as well.
HH,
Bunker

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
How much do you charge to get in the museum you have built up

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome artillery shells and congrats on the bayonet 150 years and still clearly visible like it was dropped yesterday lol congrats big time!!!!

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally amazing! The pic. of the bayonet in the water is awesome!! I agree with Buckleboy, this site would overload at yearend when you post up everything you have found this year!! LOL

IM

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I am thoroughly impressed over the quality of CW relics you are finding in the water. Wish I could do that here in Florida but if I did either the State laws against this, or gators, would bite me in the a#@.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. Congrats! Makes me really want to get into the water more.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Aquachigger wrote:
> The shells iclude [...] what I believe to be a Read-Parrott, but I'm not positive on that as it looks a little different.

It is called a "Long-model" Read shell. It has the exact same form of sabot your "short" Read shell has. As you know, a civil war artillery projectile is named for the inventor/designer (if his name is known to us). With Read-Parrott projectiles, John B. Read invented the sabot and Robert P. Parrott invented the "pre-engraved" rifling on the sabot ...so, both of them are credited in the projectile's name. Although your Long-model Read looks very similar to a Parrott shell, no part of it was invented/designed by Mr. Parrott. Its iron body is longer than the short-model Read because it was made for use in a Parrott-type cannon, whose breech reinforcing band strengthened the cannon enough to allow it to safely fire a longer, heavier-weight projectile than a short-model Read projectile.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"a bit boring to some" - NOT HARDLY! Fascinating as always.

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquachigger wrote:
> The shells iclude [...] what I believe to be a Read-Parrott, but I'm not positive on that as it looks a little different.

It is called a "Long-model" Read shell. It has the exact same form of sabot your "short" Read shell has. As you know, a civil war artillery projectile is named for the inventor/designer (if his name is known to us). With Read-Parrott projectiles, John B. Read invented the sabot and Robert P. Parrott invented the "pre-engraved" rifling on the sabot ...so, both of them are credited in the projectile's name. Although your Long-model Read looks very similar to a Parrott shell, no part of it was invented/designed by Mr. Parrott. Its iron body is longer than the short-model Read because it was made for use in a Parrott-type cannon, whose breech reinforcing band strengthened the cannon enough to allow it to safely fire a longer, heavier-weight projectile than a short-model Read projectile.

Thanks CBG. I guess I was confused and don't think I have found one like this before. I also looked it up in Field Artillery Projectiles of the American Civil War, which is an excellent reference book and should be on the shelf of all serious civil war buffs. It appears to be a "sleeved" version. Would you think so, or is the "groove" near the nose something different? I can post a better picture if that would help.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It does look like the "sleeved" version ...though I have to say I cannot be 100%-certain about that, due to the thin encrustation still remaining on it. Before it was coated with sealant, the encrustation would have popped off with some gentle tapping. Send me an email and I'll advise you on what to do about getting rid of that pesky encrustation at this stage of the game.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread