What are these worth.

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
I was just at the bank making a deposit and this penny showed up in the change from the teller. When i saw it i couldn't believe it, It looks like it's mistruck,

So i asked the teller and she just laughed and said i got one of the banks weird penny's. Did i want it or do i want a new penny.

I said it was kinda cool and asked if she had any more. Well the she called over the manager and asked him and he said they recieved a whole bag full, DID i want any of them because they were going to send them back. I said i'd take a look and they have about 1000 coins. All mistruck.

I told the manager that i wanted them for Christmas gifts so he sold me a bag of about 1000. Now does anybody know what there worth.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,831
  • IMG_11.JPG
    IMG_11.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,830
Upvote 0

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I've been told that mis-strikes are only valuable if they're 25% or more. I honestly don't know first hand tho'.A whole bag??? Pretty cool, even if they're only worth a penny. You could put me on your christmas list tho'........

OP
OP
The Gemologist

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Hey, Theres 987 in the bag and about 1/3 are like this one, 1/3 are about 1/2 struck and the ballance are somewhere in between. I'll going to shoot some more pics

Attachments

• 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,734
  • 3c.JPG
    3c.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,721
  • IMG_1a.JPG
    IMG_1a.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 1,788

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
That's simply incredible!!! WOW.
I would say that it's your lucky day Gem! Congrats!
bet you could sell them on eBay for $3 to $5 a piece.

Smiles!
BDoo

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I think they meant to throw that bag out, Those are probably pretty valuable. Guard them well(and SEND ME ONE FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!)

OP
OP
The Gemologist

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Wooooo Hoooo, now i'm going to check ebay and see,. you got my motor running

PS I thought they were cool when i first saw them

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked a 1998 coin book and struck off-center coins 10-30% are worth 3$ and up,31-70% off-center 5$ up and more then 71% are 2$ and up. Information was taken from (1998 North American coins and prices) and has a list of all types of error coins,rarity and prices.Sorry i do not have a newer version. That's a great find!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No,no,no they aren't worth anything! Send them to me and i'll get your money back for you! ;D :o :o :o Man you just got the find of the year when it comes to lincoln cents! Lucky Dog! Sell them in lots of 10 or so with good pics.of actual coins and you will get good money on Ebay.Some of them on there pay way too much,for many of the coins I watch all the time.I want some,let us know if and when you do this!

OP
OP
The Gemologist

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the info it's very much appreciated,

i guess i know what i'll be doing tonight. yep going thru pennies.

Tomorrow i'll shoot some more pics.

I can hardly type, pretty excited

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one of the best stories I have read here. A real unexpected windfall. I can't believe the bank let those go out. Boy I think you did FANTASTIC!!

Johnny

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right place at the right time...this could be a windfall for you!

Woodsie

Oct 25, 2006
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
XLT by Whites
You are declared the WINNER on this election day. Looks like most of those cents are in the TEN DOLLR and higher category.....

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my local coin guy sells those for like 4-5 bucks each...........

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Woodsie said:
You are declared the WINNER on this election day. Looks like most of those cents are in the TEN DOLLR and higher category.....

Agreed. Sweet deal. Glad to see you have such a great find. Congratulations.

Oh did you want us to send you our addresses for the CHristmas list? LoL just joking.

That is a really cool find though. And thank you for the tip. I will now ask tellers from time to time if they recieved messed up pennies or other currencies. I have been looking and have NEVER found any error yet. So that whole bag full was sure a great deal.

I do not think that I would mention that on the ebay sell though. If peps think there are a ton of them they might not bid what they are really worth.

Congralations again on that great windfall. I am glad to see it go to a great member of our TN family.

Postalrevnant

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
WOW! An Almost Complete Bag!!!! '07 Red Book say's Most Valuable is 20-60% Off Center w/ Full Date & MM Showing! Avg ones @ $5!

A Real Horde! HH Joe :o

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Hang on to 'em, and make like you only have a couple ;)

A thousand of them would certainly make 'em worth less than if there were only a few........

Incredibly cool find !

Diggem'

bagglaydee

Mar 22, 2005
Kernersville, North Carolina
Oh yeah! Sweet find! Re: eBay...Definitely offer only a few at a time so you don't "flood" the market. Any that have the complete year on them will go for a little more $$ than those without. Sure pays to be nice to the tellers!

HH....Barb

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I'd definitely put on just a few small lots on here and there and not multiple lots together. Put a few in each lot making for a variety in each lot. Congrats! Nice going. Suprised the Mint let those out the door.

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
Wow. I think thats an excellent find! One of those really neat things that you dont ever expect to run into. Congrats! Post some more pics of the variety if you dont mind, I like em!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread