Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Papa Bear wrote:
> The head stamp on the casing, starting at the top around the percussion cap: R (top), 8 (right), F (bottom), 6 (left).

The R designates the cartridge was intended for use in the Rifle version of the .45-70, instead of the Carbine version.
The F designates it was manufactured at the Frankford Arsenal (Pennsylvania).
The numbers on the left and right are the month and year of manufacture. There definitely was originally a second digit in the number on the right (for example, 82). As the number on the right is incomplete, all I can tell you is that your cartridge-casing was made in June of a year in the 1880s.

> I am still curious about the two bullets that look over rammed. If anyone can confirm that,
> I would appreciate it. Also, both bullets had 7 grooves of rifling on them.

Having very closely examined many thousands of dropped, fired, "hard-rammed" and "pulled" minies during the past 30-something years, I am quite certain your guess is correct, those two minies are hard-rammed/over-rammed.

You say one of them is a .54-caliber and the other is a .58-caliber. Did you measure them with Digital Calipers, of are you just making an approximate guess? I'm asking because we need super-precise measurements of their diameter to be certain about their caliber, and thus figure out which type of rifle your minies got rammed into.

It's very odd for a Minie to have 7-groove rifling marks. As you already know, the hard-ramming means they were being used in a Muzzleloading firearm, not a Breechloader. The only 7-goove Muzzleloading .58-caliber in my rifling-lists is a Confederate rifle, made by the Dickson Nelson in Georgia.

The .54 Perry Carbine had 7 goove rifling, but it is a Breechloader ...so, nobody would be ramming minies into one of those.

Muzzleloading .54-caliber with 7 grooves are:
USA Model 1804 Rifle
USA Single-Shot Pistol, Model 1843

Muzzleloading .56-caliber with 7 grooves:
Bavarian Tige Rifle

The .56 Colt Revolving Rifle technically is neither a Breechloader nor a "typical" Muzzleloader rifle. It had a cylinder, and a (very short) ramrod was used to load bullets into the front of the cylinder. So, the .56 Colt Revolving Rifle may be responsible for one of your hard-rammed/over-rammed minies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
???

Last edited:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice recoveries. I have hunted similar western sites and you should be close to some good buttons and insignia.

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice assortment of relics Papa Bear......... love the way ya set them up in a display case :icon_thumright:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds for sure.:icon_thumleft:

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I let the granddaughter keep the IH Penny and I have placed the majority of the items found at the old building site in a display case for the granddaughter seeing as she found most of them.

:thumbsup:A class act and nice finds.....:goldtrophy:

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer