All Day Detecting Marathon! Big find and FIRST GOLD RING!

ScubaDad

Jul 1, 2012
Blaine, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went to the Anoka county Historical Society and got a copy of all their Sanborn maps from 1885 - 1925 and began studying them looking for a great place to hunt. After noticing the different places along the Rum River and knowing that it floods out pretty bad every 10-15 years, I decided on a location which turns out to be a city a park. I make a call to the "city" parks and rec dept and get the go ahead to detect and dig as long we fill our holes, dig plugs for the top layer and repair the ground to original or almost original condition.

After getting the green light on this, we got started at about 10:00 am this morning in the park. We dug a few clad, some trash and then I hit on a LARGE area with a high almost solid concentration of metal :) :) ... and we started digging...

Here are shots of the area :)

IMG_0342.png IMG_0343.png IMG_0344.png IMG_0345.png

Once we started ... we continued pulling things out of this widening hole for the next 3 or 4 hours ... We believe it was an old campfire / dump site for the metal smith that used to be in this approximate area in 1885-1902. We pulled a lot of cast iron nails, spikes, and other pieces of metal that looked to have been made by a smith ... we also found a bunch of hardened slag (which is why think it was the smith). We found a cast iron dipped piece of wood (handle for something maybe?), the top portion of an old moonshine type ceramic jug, some really old glass with writing (research says it's a Lundin's Condensed Juniper Aide bottle - LUNDIN'S CONDENSED JUNIPER-ADE DRINK MIX CHICAGO 1890S - Listing # 793 - A GREAT PLACE TO BUY AND SELL BOTTLES! <- isn't the one found as we only found pieces but helped us to find an estimated date on this stuff).

IMG_0356.png

We also found an old heavy glass (candle stick holder?), some ceramic pieces, and some miscellaneous stuff - rest of the pics below:

IMG_0347.png IMG_0348.png IMG_0349.png IMG_0350.png IMG_0351.png IMG_0352.png IMG_0353.png IMG_0354.png IMG_0355.png IMG_0357.png IMG_0358.png IMG_0359.png IMG_0361.png

also, looks like some bone (maybe from a cow) that was maybe fashioned into some type of handle or something ... guessing it's bone because of the pock marks on the inside where the marrow would have been eaten / heated away.

So after this we headed over to a relatives house who is going to be selling and decided to give the grounds a once over ... as if our day couldn't get any better - we came up with a fancy button AND our FIRST GOLD RING :) 10K thin women's band.
IMG_0363.png

Next we found an old Tootsie Toy Company truck (in two pieces) and a matching trailer (intact)
IMG_0360.png

Then because the metal detecting gods weren't done bestowing favor on us just yet - WE FOUND THE WATER MAIN in the center of the yard :) ... not letting that discourage us, we continued on and were handsomely rewarded with a monopoly piece (the shoe), a piece of brass and some type of tag (don't know much about it but maybe someone on here does)
IMG_0364.png

So all said in done in the front yard and here's what we got:
IMG_0362.png

Hope you all had a great day - I think this was my best day detecting so far :)

J

Upvote 1

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Gold Chug and Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread