Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...well, not quite. But the deep mud and stinking standing water in the cane rows of our straggler field, plus the relentless mosquitos made it seem like a swamp, missing only the vegetation and water snakes.

We did pretty well in our last hunt. Shanegalang dug his first Civil War button, a GS Eagle in decent shape with a stand-up shank. Here is a photo of the button, just dug:

eagle in hand.jpg

And a photo of the happy finder. The photo was taken at 8:30am after we had been hunting since 5:30. 90% humidity and a feels-like temp of close to 100.

eagle happy finder.jpg

Shane has already posted his good finds, so it's my turn. I got a Civil War knapsack triangle. I've dug the hooks before--all styles--but not found one of these, so I was pleased with it. Also got two barrel taps and a nice Georgian-era drawer pull. Added a ramrod tip to the collection too (top right). Got a couple whatzits, some clay marbles, some nasty toasted wheat pennies, and a clay pipe stem. Was pleased to get a tombac lid to a gunpowder can (center bottom).

my stuff.jpg

The following photo (originally posted by Ironman in this thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/w...ound-civil-war-camp-today-powder-can-cap.html) shows a similar powder can he dug. The threads around the rim of the one I dug were a dead giveaway, in spite of the fact that the screw-in bottom of it was broken off.

mid 1800s powder can stopper.jpg

And photos of mine:

powder can stopper front.jpg
powder can stopper back.jpg

I also realized that I had dug the missing piece to one of the barrel taps during a previous hunt. Fits together perfectly:

complete tap.jpg

Here is a photo of some of the stuff Shane has pulled recently.

shanestuff.JPG

The long relic (in many pieces) at the top is the arm from an old scale, similar to this:

Shane's scale.jpg

All in all a fun hunt at the straggler field, and nice to see some mid-1800s and Civil War for a pleasant change of pace from the colonial stuff.

And with that, the Canefield Bandits will sign off until next time. But I'll leave ya with a little Southern Louisiana Eye Candy. :)

abandoned for fun.jpg

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 7

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am still amazed with the vast assortment of finds the Bandits are STILL RECOVERING!!! Great hunts BB. The CW period finds seem to be increasing. HH, Quindy.

Mac232

Aug 18, 2007
Greasy Creek , TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the last pic a tavern ? house ? or what ? Good luck with it and am looking forward to a post on it .

Mac

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Man you have some sweet old relics there. Gotta love those finds.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fascinating finds and great saves!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!When I seen the pic of the can,I said....."Hey,I have seen that somewhere before!!"Great digs bud!

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. Congrats!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That barnyard looks like a great place to hunt,nice assortment of finds.I really like the barrel tap you found in two pieces.One of the reasons is I make my own wine,red and white,cheers.:icon_thumleft:

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome assortment of relics Buckle boy, that would make a nice conversation piece in a display case

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Nice finds... You guys are brave to get out in that heat. Even if you do go out early!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Louisiana???? I am gone a year and now you are in Louisiana and a Bandit?? Great finds. Any day you have a shank on a button is becoming a good day. Looks like you guys are having fun. I like that house. I imagine it was quiet opulent in it's day. We call that a fixer upper : )[/h]HH
TnMtns

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While we were in New Orleans we visited that Site,,awesome vacation,hope you find a lot of treasures,,HH

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really like the spots you hunt , but where did you go for lunch? no pictures?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Louisiana???? I am gone a year and now you are in Louisiana and a Bandit?? Great finds. Any day you have a shank on a button is becoming a good day. Looks like you guys are having fun. I like that house. I imagine it was quiet opulent in it's day. We call that a fixer upper : )

HH
TnMtns

You've missed a lot then LOL. Yeah, I moved. The IRON Brigade is no more...although the former members of the IB still make some great finds. Came down here and started a new team with a great guy and good friend. Thanks for checking in, and glad to see you on the forums again.

Cheers,

Buckles

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've missed a lot then LOL. Yeah, I moved. The IRON Brigade is no more...although the former members of the IB still make some great finds. Came down here and started a new team with a great guy and good friend. Thanks for checking in, and glad to see you on the forums again.

Cheers,

Buckles

Buck
It is great to be back. I am currently on a large Confed picket line with pictures to follow soon. It is great seeing you and your new adventures . I will check in with the famous iron brigade and keep taking notes . You guys were like Mentors or was it Minatours. Ha it is late.
Cheers
TnMtns

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!When I seen the pic of the can,I said....."Hey,I have seen that somewhere before!!"Great digs bud!

Yeah, you did. :D I borrowed it without asking, but gave credit where it was due! Great that I actually figured out what the find was. It's so odd to dig something made of tombac that isn't a button. Except for a school bell, I don't have anything else that's made of that material besides a few flat buttons.

-Buck

Just some Guy

Dec 28, 2011
Ukiah CA.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, Whites 6000 DIPro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Finds
Well Done
Happy hunting,

Dan

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like so much fun down there! Nice nice finds and I love that old home! Nice job!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really like the spots you hunt , but where did you go for lunch? no pictures?

Ahhh we will have to start posting some photos of the food. Most days its Jambalaya or pulled pork sandwiches. :) We've started to call it First Breakfast, Second Breakfast, and Third Breakfast. Typical First Breakfast at 4:30 or 5am: Boudin or smoked sausage, cheese grits, and eggs. Second Breakfast at 9am: Sometimes just cold drinks and homemade beef jerky, or giant cajun boiled shrimp or pork cracklins. Third breakfast--really lunch lol (if we're dealing with the 100 degree heat well, and taking lots of breaks in hunting): at 1pm pulled pork or jambalaya.

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread