Not something you really want to find with your detector but could be a banner find

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Thursday started out to be a great day. I finished work early and decided to stop by a couple of places and do some detecting on my way to pick up my 2 yr. old son. My very first signal within minutes of hitting the power button on my etrac was a mercury dime. Not long after came a buffalo nickel and then, within the next hour, 2 more mercs and a barber dime. I left feeling pretty good. It was my 1st 4 silver day in a long time and especially in such a short time. I turned off the etrac with a smile and headed to the baby-sitter's. After I picked up my son and then my 10 yr. old stepson, I headed home to fix them dinner (wife-y was working until late). During the course of fixing dinner I hear my stepson say "no, don't chew on that, Nicholas, spit it out!". I ran into the living room where they were watching tv and see my little guy just starting to choke on goodness knows what. I scooped him up and turned him nearly upside down and patted his back pretty hard a couple of times. It was already too late though, whatever he'd put into his mouth was on its way down to his little tummy. I turned to my stepson and asked what he'd had and my heart sunk and stomach knotted up when I heard the words "A NAIL!". :icon_pale: I was like "A what?!! Where did he get a nail?!" and "How big was it?!" Well my stepson isn't very reliable when it comes to facts or descriptions so I really wasn't sure. I was kind of at a loss, do I toss them into the van and run to the hospital or wait it out? Obviously I was hoping that my stepson was wrong and that it wasn't a nail but how could I be sure? The only thing I could think of to do was to run out and get my etrac, hook the small coil up to it and use it as a small hand held detector. I held my breath and waved it over my son's little tummy and almost got sick when I heard the "beep-beep" of a positive signal. Dropping everything, I rushed to the emergency room and blurted out something along the lines of "my 2 year old swallowed a nail!" The wait seemed like forever but I guess they actually got him back pretty quickly. The xray confirmed it. Inside my son's intestine, already passed the stomach, was a nail 3cm long. It appeared to be head down, which was good, and had no pointed end. I recognized it immediately. That was an old square nail from the window sill in our old house! It had gotten pulled out of the wall quite some time ago, when the window sill was still WAY out of his reach and we had neglected to put it in the trash. Gah, was he going to have to be cut open?!! Well long story shorter, the doc told us that we had about a 40-60 chance that it would pass without damage and nothing would have to be done. 40 percent chance it could either get stuck, perforate or nick something as it passed, or cause more serious damage, and they'd have to go in and try to repair it. Peoples, those of you who are parents will understand, this is my only child and the apple of my eye. I was absolutely sick as I took him home in my arms that night. He acted fine and knew nothing was wrong. Daddy and Mommy didn't get much sleep and the next day we were back to the hospital for a follow up xray. That nail was still there and only moved slightly. He was full of doo doo though so they put him on miralax and sent us back home to observe and wait. Later that evening he did have a dirty but I could not find the nail. I grew up on a farm and am not afraid to get dirty, if you know what I mean. I looked through that yuck-poo two different times that night, and carefully both times, no nail. I couldn't eat or sleep a wink that night. I'm not even sure I breathed. Back to the hospital the next morning for another picture of his tummy and low and behold....that nail was no where to be seen! I got goose bumps I don't mind telling you. There had been a ton of people praying for us during this ordeal and the only thing that I could think was that it was a miracle. I took him home with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. As soon as I had the chance, I waved that stinky diaper under my etrac coil and what do you know......"BEEP BEEP"! What the heck?!! I had used latex gloves to look for that nail twice and it just wasn't there before. The third time I opened the little package, there was the nail plane as day as if it had just been put in there. Words can not express the relief that I feel today. Little Nicholas is fine and shows no signs of having ingested and passed an almost 150 year old nail. Being a jewelry maker by trade I do believe I will be making a tiny little cross for him out of this old nail, and I'll always be able to brag that my son is tougher than nails! Who knows, this may even be my first banner find. I was definitely happier to see it out of him than I've ever been to see any target I detected and dug up out of the ground!!
Happy Hunting to all and here's praying that none of you ever have to use your metal detectors for similar circumstances!!
SS.

Attachments

• nail.jpg
    nail.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 163
  • nail1.jpg
    nail1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 158
  • nail2.jpg
    nail2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 1

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yayyyyy. Good job Dad!!! Way to pin point that nail and get to the hospital. Great story happy ending. I say a cross would be perfect. Just clean it up and seal it and make sure he has his tetanus shot ok???
Nice one. Love a happy ending.
Well I guess happy hunting is in order !
HH
TnMtns
P,s this would have made banner if you found the nail with the latex glove !

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so glad this turned out in a great way... alls I can say is Phewwwwww weeeeeeeeeee

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
You crack me up! You were determined to find the nail you forgot about the detector and went up to your elbows in what I remember to be EXTREMELY TOXIC SLUDGE.

Down here kids were always swallowing coins, when I was a kid we always knew someone who was waiting for one to reappear.

Dont forget to frame the nail and the xray and your post, to reappear on the boys 21st Birthday!

I played a drinking game once, I forget the details but it involved bouncing a coin into a glass and skulling the contents, I kept swallowing the coins, I swallowed so many we ran out, they said I was a typical Victorian Convict Thief. They kept poking me to find a reject button, but no go, its a one way valve when drinking. They were dirty that we couldnt play anymore. I was glad, they were killing me.

I sounded like a poker machine paying out the next day, just niticed its my 250th post, speeeeecial!

Last edited:

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hearts and prayers for you and family.... We are all family in some sort of way here. Yup picture frame time!

Irchr

Mar 17, 2010
Texas
Thankfully it turned out well. now a mild rebuke, not a bad one. Don't forget to thank your "OTHER SON" who might have been the one to save your little ones life. He is the one who let you know he had swallowed it. Both your boys are blessed right now.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:p Oh boy , the Joys of Parenthood :rolleyes: your a good Dad and Thank God the lil' stinker is OK

dawg

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to thank your "OTHER SON" who might have been the one to save your little ones life. He is the one who let you know he had swallowed it. Both your boys are blessed right now.
I've not been hard on him or even said a lot about it other than when he is watching Nicholas he needs to make sure he's not playing with such small things, but it was my "other son" who saw him with the nail about 10 minutes earlier and watched him playing with it until it dissappeared and then later noticed he was chewing on it. I'm definitely glad that he called out though or it could have turned out much, much worse. If he hadn't said something I wouldn't have known anything until it was too late since I was in the kitchen and they in the living room. Just a relieved and thankful daddy today.

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What reading did u get on the etrac?
I don't remember the ferrous number but I think it was in the thirties. The conductive number was something like 22 or 23...... Odd that I remember even that, I sure wasn't looking to see what it read...lol.

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you for sharing . Well done post and hope the rest of the year is not so exciting .

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that's crazy, scary, and nasty all in one. :o glad the little one is ok :icon_thumleft:

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! Glad it all worked out for you... I can't imagine how stressful it must've been.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread