need help identifying a pin / medal

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i do not have a picture yet but will take one tonight and post it but here is the info and story behind my find.

roughly 20 years ago i used to tear down and restore antique log cabins , we were on site tearing down a cabin in the middle of kentucky , and i always keep a eye out for cool stuff , i had picked up a few old marbles out of the dirt under the cabin when i noticed a lock , or so i thought . It turned out to be a pin roughly 3/8 tall and 2 1/2 inchs long with the stat Pennsylvania on it , then hanging from the center is a lock shaped pendant.
this had a pretty brownish green patina so i thought it was copper and stuffed it in my pocket for later . it has set in my little bag of old coins until now . my 12 year old son felt like doing me a favor and has taken all my old coins and nick nacs and used brass cleaner to polish them .
my old brown medal is now a shiney silver color and quite heavy . a magnet does not stick to it so it isnt iron or tin, it is to heavy i think to be aluminium but maybe pewter ?
i can find no date or name , this could be 30 years old or alot older , i just can not find any wedsite with Pennsylvania medals that has one like it.
any help would be appreciated and i will get on and post a picture tonight . after seeing how shiney and slick it is my first thought was silver. but i see no stamp and i know a silver smith would have stamped it.

:update, thanks to my sons sharp eyes he found and read some writing on the back, it says
Whitehead and Hoag Co. Newark New jersey.

i will now try and post the pictures so wish me luck since i am new to this.

Bakc of the pin

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z448/mical66/7-17-2012138.jpg

front of the pin

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z448/mical66/7-17-2012137.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds interesting, looking forward to the pix.
Bunker

OP
OP
mical66

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys/gals . i am having issues resizing so i used photobucket,, hope this works

OP
OP
mical66

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok i have researched a little more and found that the company that made this was founded in 1891 and ran for less than 20 years, so this piece is old.
what i would like help with is if anyone would know why it had a lock as a medal and Pennsylvania for the state, that is the info i can not find.
ty for any help.

OP
OP
mical66

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you Bramblefind , id say you are right . if you look on the back you can see there is 2 pins , 1 pointed on top and 1 blunt on bottom, id guess the bottom one was for a ribbon to hang on.
i may try and duplicate a ribbon so i can display this old beauty :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread