anybody else ever find 1800s bottle dumps with only 1 whole bottle in it?

canadiandigger

Jul 5, 2012
woodstock ontario
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
011.JPG

Upvote 1

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting piles of excavated dirt on a lot here and found around 7 unbroken bottles but the ground is littered with fragments from hundreds of them. I wish I could have gotten to them before the excavators did.....

What your finding isn't that uncommon though, after all they were trash to the people who tossed them out so they didn't care if they broke, plus kids throwing rocks, or target practice over the course of many years take a toll.

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may of already been dug possibly.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like some of em were really nice looking glass,shame they were mostly broken.Hope the next finds will be in better shape.
Good luck.............................

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
No! But I did find a nineteenth century bottle dump with no whole bottles and large rocks therein that were used to break the bottles. It was an 1850's fort site and soldiers broke all unused bottles to keep Indians from utilizing them to store and carry water.

OP
OP
C

canadiandigger

Jul 5, 2012
woodstock ontario
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know it sucks all of the bottles were nice lots of medicine bottles that were broken that i left there was a couple other broken wine bottles and a couple 1858 mason jars smashed

Last edited:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found a dump with only 1 whole bottle in it,,,buuut have dug an outhouse with 51 bottles ,all whole, then moved over to the next privy,and it had only 1 whole bottle in it,then moved to the 3rd privy,that had 0,,, just goes to show,dump/privy,ya just never know till ya dig it. Keep yur shovel dirty

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
........ plus kids throwing rocks, or target practice over the course of many years take a toll.

Oops . . . . . :laughing7:

I've dug a lot of bottle dumps as a kid, and most of the bottles were broken. Still, the unbroken ones made it worth while. The pop bottles with broken tops I cut into glasses. They have to be really cool to be worth the effort though.

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
I've got a virgin dump site with whole bottles as far as the eye can see waiting for me. One person has dug through it a bit and that's my cousin.

Sent from my Android using TreasureNet

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are nice pieces, we keep a fragment jar. looks pretty in the window. What sites do you use to date and gage your pieces? We are new and We think we have some nice pieces. clear color painted, embossed,unique,unusual, intact, some with wicks, corks, pop tops and screw tops, some with stoppers and whole droppers. We dont know any thing not even the right questions to ask. Does anyone have any suggestions?

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a hole I dug with around 100 broken pottery ginger beers in it? Only one was not broken.:icon_scratch:

tonyc10k

Sep 7, 2012
Georgetown ky
Detector(s) used
Minelabs equinox 800, whites classic ID, bounty hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not much into bottle hunting. ive did it a few times. i know of a place that has bottles from the 1840s -1950s how valuable are bottles?

OP
OP
C

canadiandigger

Jul 5, 2012
woodstock ontario
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes i found even more the next day a couple more broken blob tops an other bottles it sucks! and i usually place a guess on the age of the bottles but these are all 1860s-1890s

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sadly lots of the old cool bottles are often damaged -- but that just makes the survivors tthat much rarer.

OP
OP
C

canadiandigger

Jul 5, 2012
woodstock ontario
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep iv always seemed to have that all the good ones are broken an the crappy or half decent ones are whole

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread