NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't give you a positive ID on it, what I can say is that it looks like it's been put together from parts, or possibly repaired by someone who really didn't know what they were doing. You can plainly see where the original in-letting for the lock has been filled, and the lock plate looks like a piece of sheet metal (is it NAILED on?) The lock looks like it may be Spanish to me, but I can't be certain. Also I can't really see the side plate on the other side, a clear pic of that might help.

Having said that, an engraved barrel like that is pretty odd, and could be an indication that it was a very high end musket in it's time, possibly a presentation gun. You'd need to get it looked at by an expert though to confirm that.

Can you post clear pics of the left side plate, a straight on close up of the lock, the barrel engraving, and any proof marks no matter how small they are? I'll help you as best I can to ID it, but I simply cant from the pics so far.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with every word Nola Ken has told you.To me the gun looks pieced together from all sorts of guns.The pics. aren't good enough for no one to call it in my opinion.Also looks like quite a few pieces missing.The fireing mechanism screams spanish as seen here............................
http://asoac.org/bulletins/91_benninghoff_spanish.pdf
other parts look french like the stock.But with out better pics.It be tough to know.And still may not if put together from all sorts.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly made up more as a 'wall hanger' than authentic 'original' piece. Although the 'pieces' look original.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I don't know man,might be some kind of Ottman Empire deal. I'll give it to him. He comes with some good ones (what's it's).

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not being a gun guy I am out of my league on this thread but I found this which my shed some light on the piece:

late 16th century on, more and more muskets with the more mechanically advanced flintlock firing system were manufactured in the Ottoman Empire. These often employed the Spanish miquelet-lock (a type of flintlock).

I wonder if someone used Ottoman miquelet parts on a new stock after the old wood went bad.

DCMatt

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt.... That's a pretty good match on the lock! Being a pistol lock would explain why the lock plate is so small. I kind of think the barrel might be original to the stock just from looking at the offset barrel tang, and it's possible that the trigger and guard also are original. I still don't know the origin of those parts, so hopefully there's a proof mark somewhere on the barrel, side plate, or possibly even stamped into the wood itself.

As a guess, someone at sometime broke the lock on their gun, and got hold of a different lock to replace it with. Or they got hold of a couple broken guns and cobbled one together.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
S

stefen

A little trivia....

A TV Reality show...Pawnbrokers...took an old gun to an appraiser and found it was still loaded from CW days...

Could be scary...

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember that one, didn't they use an air compressor to clear it and find out it was only paper? You can soak black powder with oil and render it safe in a loaded antique like that, and use air to clear it out.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old gun.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread