unidentified relic? civil war grenade or what?!

nanook*23*

Jul 22, 2012
Lafayette, AL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks,

Found an interesting relic/type item at a estate sale- and picked it up as it was super cheap- but now am confused as to what exactly I have. I believed it was a civil war era hand grenade but now am not so sure. It doesn't have any of tell-tale characteristics and the shape is a bit off...it weighs around 3.5/4 pounds so what the heck is it? Thanks for your thoughts as I am completely confused.

photo (5).JPG

photo (4).JPG

photo (6).JPG

photo (8).JPG

photo (7).JPG

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a Pear Shaped Gate Weight

OP
OP
N

nanook*23*

Jul 22, 2012
Lafayette, AL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winner winner chicken dinner! Thanks! I think you are 100% correct- I can even see the remnants of where the hooks would have been attached to the top of the "pear" weight before they were knocked off at some point...oh well- neat new thing to research and read about...never knew about these weights before.

Thanks again,

RC

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Winner winner chicken dinner! Thanks! I think you are 100% correct- I can even see the remnants of where the hooks would have been attached to the top of the "pear" weight before they were knocked off at some point...oh well- neat new thing to research and read about...never knew about these weights before.

Thanks again,

RC

Just let me know when I can pick up my prize .. I was wondering what to have for dinner! Chicken sounds pretty good!

Welcome to the forum!

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you would like to know what a civil war era hand grenade looked like.
Google Ketchum grenade.

OP
OP
N

nanook*23*

Jul 22, 2012
Lafayette, AL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah that's what clued me into thinking I didn't have a hand grenade of that era...however a few pics I found of the more spherical kind almost fooled me.

called an Adam's grenade:

7314732_1_l.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread