So of course my best find to date must come with a story.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So of course my best find to date must come with a story. UPDATED with CLEANED UP PIC

Ok short story here goes: my brother is getting interested in my new found obsession and obtained permission to hunt an old 1860's train station and ferry dock on the local river. Of course we blew off work today to give it a whirl. The current land owner was a bit squirrely and kinda dodged the question of letting us hunt near the house where the goods likely where. we found the site on the riverbank where the horses and buggies would load onto the ferry to cross the river, sadly there was about 15' of sediment accumulated over the years so that was a no go. i dug one signal and it ended up being a huge lead homemade sinker at about 10" deep. WAY TOO HOT OUTSIDE for all that digging. hit the swimming hole and did some fishing but of course my fix for the day wasnt fulfilled. My son and I left them and headed to a spot i wanted to hunt on a hunch:dontknow:. It was a boat launch that i was convinced was an old homesite. The trees are huge and in a perfect line away from the road, like i said it was a hunch lol. found a couple of neat buttons, a LEO coin or token, a trigger from a toy gun, a 1965 clad dime about 8" down,( wouldve never thought that was possible), a marble, a couple buttons, a belt buckle and OUR BEST FIND YET! 1870 Indian Head Penny!!:headbang:8-):hello2::headbang:, its kinda toasty but hey ill take it!, any advice on how to clean it up?? SAM_2344.JPG SAM_2345.JPG SAM_2341.JPG SAM_2349.JPG SAM_2351.JPG

here she is all cleaned up, warm peroxide and some qtips w/elbow grease IH.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 1

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job, and it's good that you used the peroxide method. This is by far the best thing I've found to clean ground-dug copper coins.

Congrats,

Buckles

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this pic doesnt do it justice, it cleaned up awesome!, kept the green patina too:thumb_up:

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont soak your valuable coins in coke you will ruin the value! The coke eats the coin away not just the crud.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont soak your valuable coins in coke you will ruin the value! The coke eats the coin away not just the crud.

No, im finished w/it, i did warm peroxide, qtips, elbow grease, worked very well, the updated pic doesnt do it justice, it cleaned up very good

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread