Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Civil War ketchup post...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2008
    Maryland
    249 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by baylorhall View Post
    How do you clean those?
    I put them through electrolysis first and then it's a matter of slow and methodical picking and tapping at the stubborn rust. I then boil them in hot wax. Here is a video of my electrolysis set up I use on all my iron.

us
    Jul 2008
    Maryland
    249 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInspector View Post
    Awesome relics, I am hoping to graduate to relic hunting soon, but I was most surprised to learn from your post title that they had ketchup during the Civil War.

I also like the date on that artillery shell.
    OCT 16 1861.
    Exactly 96 years before my birth.
    I was trying to do a little play on words with "catch up", but I figure most people just think I'm an idiot. Prolly not far off That's cool about the Shenkl date and your birthday, but I hope you aren't suggesting....

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    MXT
    106 times
    That shell is fantastic, who would think that it would have cleaned up that nice.

Jul 2010
    14 times
    How much longer before you open your museum to the public? I'd like to see it. And i'm not going to say GL, it might jinx you. oops i guess i did. Leaches? Holly snikes! I thought that was in africa. HH

May 2012
    198 times
    How Dangerous are these at this point? Maybe you could share some tips of what to do, not do when finding a shell or canon ball??

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    1363 times
    your finds always amaze me

us
    Jul 2008
    Maryland
    249 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by gforce1972 View Post
    How Dangerous are these at this point? Maybe you could share some tips of what to do, not do when finding a shell or canon ball??
    Most of the shells I have been finding are paper fused and thus filled with water and mud. However, it is always wise to have them professionally drilled and flushed of any remaining black powder that may be inside even if it is decomposed. If you find a shell, it will not explode if it dries out, is dropped or even stared at for a very long time. They are potentially dangerous only if put in a fire or drilled into by the inexperienced. Any type of shell that is WWI or later is a very different ballgame and must be handled with extreme caution until properly identified. Almost all of my shells are drilled and flushed by the time a picture is posted of them.

us
    Tennessee Digger

Sep 2011
    Tesoro and Troy Shadow
    348 times
    Those are some great finds!!! I have an old buddy that used to water hunt and he got some of those leeches on him down at Stone's river, Tennessee. Although he got them off as soon as he discovered them on his legs and ankle, he soon developed blood poising and was in the hospital for over a week. Be careful. Tennessee digger

us
    Dag Nabbit

Jul 2010
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gforce1972 View Post
    That's what I want to know. Are these live shells? Wet gunpowder isn't something I would want to play with - but I digress, those are AWESOME shells!

us
    Jul 2008
    Maryland
    249 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by tennessee digger View Post
    Those are some great finds!!! I have an old buddy that used to water hunt and he got some of those leeches on him down at Stone's river, Tennessee. Although he got them off as soon as he discovered them on his legs and ankle, he soon developed blood poising and was in the hospital for over a week. Be careful. Tennessee digger
    I always worry about them because of that very reason. I guess it's somewhat common to get infections by them. Yikes!

us
    Jul 2008
    Maryland
    249 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
    That's what I want to know. Are these live shells? Wet gunpowder isn't something I would want to play with - but I digress, those are AWESOME shells!
    Thanks! I answered that question in a post just a little above...

us
    Dag Nabbit

Jul 2010
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aquachigger View Post
    Thanks! I answered that question in a post just a little above...
    Pardon my ignorance!

I'm a Marylander myself and I remember as a kid going to my mothers boyfriends old farmhouse in WVA, finding Civil war bullets lying in plain site. Still have them to this day, and If I could track down her ex-boyfriend (this was 25 years ago) I'm sure he'd let me hunt his land (he was the coolest guy in the world).

I'm in Montgomery County, but grew up going to old parts of MD, and I'm fascinated with what you recover! The relics amaze me!
    aquachigger likes this.

us
    Sep 2011
    Southern, CT
    Spectra V3i with wireless headphones, Bounty Hunter 505, 8" & 10.25" Coils,
    442 times
    Sweet finds. Is that shell explosive? If so how did you disarm it?
    aquachigger likes this.
    SPECTRA V3i, BH 505, Pro-Pointer. Lesche Digger Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver 1663 1-Reale Cob.

Jul 2010
    14 times
    A little tip on electrolysis,if you must put the brass in the water with the iron to clean the whole shell, you can wrap the brass parts with black tape it will keep the patina safe. I have even used hot glue to protect the patina, it comes off smooth surfaces well. But the idea is to keep that beautiful dug patina, so if you stop the current from touching the brass it will come out just as it was dug.
    For lead sabots I've used plastic wrap with tape.
    Not to say it's better, I'm just saying that's the way I do it, just personal preference.
    Hope you don't mind me saying this on your post Aquachigger.

us
    Anita

Apr 2012
    New Hampshire & Maine
    V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster
    334 times
    I caught the "ketchup" pun....good one! Awesome finds. I don't relic hunt per se, but I wouldn't be opposed to finding the same types of interesting things you do. Oh, btw, just love the cover (no leeches inside I trust)!
    "You'll never find your gold on a sandy beach". - Jim Steinman (musician)
    You can bet he never used a metal detector!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors