markf

May 8, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
coins and gun.jpg
I found this little pistol on my Sunday evening hunt.My Ace350 found it in about a foot of muddy sand.The barrel kinda just crumbled apart while cleaning it.Pretty cool anyway.Any idea of age?Thanks Mark

Upvote 2

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, most old iron does not last long in mud or clay.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And another Killer find.....HH

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an Ethan Allen pocket derringer .22 cal mid-late 1800's. Any markings on the brass?

Attachments

• Ethan Allen.jpg
    Ethan Allen.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 121

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first looked at it I thought it was a Stevens Gem .22 pocket pistol, but the grip is the wrong shape. (1st pic) The second pic is a "Pointer" .22 and much closer to your gun. An exact id might be difficult without markings on it. Basically it is the "Saturday Night Special" of it's day, which would be 1870's roughly to early 1900's. There were a lot of gun makers back then cranking out nearly identical guns to yours.

It's a really cool little gun, and all the corroded iron parts are out there, you could in theory restore it to a working pistol off of your brass frame. It's something I'd be tempted to try if it were my find......

gempistol.jpg
pointer.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like an Ethan Allen pocket derringer .22 cal mid-late 1800's. Any markings on the brass?

Great ID DeepSecrets!

Congrats Mark!!!!

OP
OP
M

markf

May 8, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys,thanks for all the great information.Rebuilding it could be an option.Thanks again!!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark, It's not the Ethan Allen gun shown in the earlier post. It is definitely a different version. If you are interested I can try to help you find parts, but it'll be hard without it in my hands obviously. Your best bet would be to go to your next local gun show and find someone who specializes in antique pistols like that. There will be a guy, there always is..... The way it woud have worked is there would be a button on the bottom of the frame under the barrel, when you push the button, the barrel would pivot to load or unload it, they you had to pull back the hammer. it's single action only. A friend of mine had a similar one years ago, and they are neat little guns to play with as far as plinking cans goes. It's the kind of project I love. I just took on a new project gun, a bit newer, made in 1901, (todays find post) and I love fixing them up when possible.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread